Chapter Twenty Eight

I sit on the bed, staring at the mirror resting on the spotted yellow wall in front of me.

My hair lays in ringlets across my bare shoulders, and my pale face is dusted with light blush and red lipstick. I look like a doll.

The thought makes me frown slightly and I tilt my head, watching as the girl in the mirror does the same. A doll. Something pretty to look at and play with, yet fragile and hollow on the inside.

That's all I am... a stupid, broken doll.

The pretty face in the reflection suddenly disgusts me. I raise my hand to scrub off the offensive paint marring my face, but the door slams open, causing me to pause.

"Let's go, runt. The boss is ready." Cedric's intimidating frame fills the door as he glowers down at me.

I blink at him and turn to stare one last time at the plain human girl that will soon be no more.

"I said let's go!"

A sharp pain shoots through my arm as Cedric yanks me off the bed and pulls me roughly to the door. I catch one last fleeting look in the mirror as we pass, and my eyes meet hollow green filled with quiet acceptance.

XXX

Cedric drags me down through a rickety and decaying house that looks as though it is about to collapse at any second. We reach what must be the basement and come to a sudden stop.

My eyes dart around the room, and my heart stutters to a stop as it lands on a white bed placed directly in the center of the otherwise drab room. Surely he would wait for ...

"I know it isn't much, dragostea mea, but it will have to do for your transformation."

An involuntary shiver wracks my body as Vladimir's silky voice echoes from behind me. Cedric's hand leaves my arm as he steps away.

I force myself to repress another shiver as Vladimir grasps my waist from behind, pulling me into his chest.

"Don't worry, love. That part will come later, while we're comfortable in our own home." He brushes a light kiss across the top of my shoulder and I clench my hands into fists to stop their trembling.

"Your transformation will be enough for now." Vladimir spins me around to face him and I keep my eyes lowered to his chest. He takes in my appearance and hums in approval.

"You look lovely, my dear." He walks slowly around me, cold eyes appraising me from every angle. "Just imagine how beautiful you will be once we are finished." He murmurs, a glint in his eye that makes me want to run and hide.

My eyes wander around the room in an attempt to keep my mind off of what is to come. They land on Philippe, who stands in the doorway, staring at me with a frown. My heart lifts at the sight of the only friend I have left. I offer him a small smile. At least I won't be alone in this.

Yet as I think the thought, Philippe turns suddenly on his heel and storms out of the room. My heart sinks like a stone in my chest, and the tiny smile slips from my face. How could I be so dumb? I'm not his friend, just a pawn in his master's game. I will always be alone.

Philippe's POV

I didn't think it was possible for a vampire to have a heart after they were changed. We were supposed to be dark, soulless creatures who viewed humans as mere prey.

Yet when Sang was brought to the castle and put under my care, I began to see that I was so very wrong. Everytime she smiled or laughed at me, or her small nose would scrunch in distaste, I could feel bits of my lost humanity seep back in. Bit by bit she pieced my broken soul back together.

She was too sweet and innocent for what was happening to her. But there was nothing that I could do; Vladimir was too powerful for any of us to handle. I took care of her in the ways that I could, bringing her treats and jokes to brighten her day, teaching her ways to one-up her opponents and bandaging her wounds when she was unable to. I hoped that it would be enough.

I knew something had been wrong with Sang when Vladimir went on a killing spree through the castle, yet I never could have imagined it was because she had found a family of her own.

It had almost killed me watching that be ripped away from her so suddenly. Even so, watching her retreat back into herself afterwards was worse. Sang's memories had always been precious for her -- she had once told me that it was the one real thing she could hold onto that was truly hers. So when she pleaded with me to take her to Josiah and have her memories erased, I knew that this wasn't the same Sang I once knew. This one was heartbroken and utterly drained of the vibrant life she once possessed.

And now, here she stands... Alone in the lion's den, just waiting for the attack.

I stand silently watching as Vladimir circles her like the hungry, soulless predator he is. All the while she stands still; hollow and broken. Her green eyes once filled with life fix on me, and her lips turn up in a weak smile.

Pain shoots through my chest and my jaw clenches. She shouldn't have to go through this. Not Sang. No... I can't watch this happen to her. I can't see them destroy every good thing that has happened to me.

I close my eyes and turn swiftly from the scene, rushing up the stairs and into the forest outside. I lean my head on the rough bark of a tree, exhaling in an attempt to bring myself back in control.

"Coward." I whisper, immediately regretting leaving her alone in there. "I should have done so much more for you, Sang. I should have stopped them somehow. I'm sorry."

My fists clench and pound on the tree, breaking the bark off in chunks, but I can't make myself care. You should have done more.

Suddenly a thud echoes through the forest. I pause, resting my hands on the demolished trunk of the tree, and listen carefully. The sharp sound of a branch cracking to my left makes me swing my head around in time to see a body sail through the air and land at my feet.

My eyes widen in shock as a decapitated head soars through the branches, following the decimated body. What the hell-?

Glowing eyes appear in the direction from which the body came and I freeze. One by one, wolves emerge from the shadows, snarling and snapping their teeth. It can't be. A gasp leaves me as the Cullens materialize next.

"It is you. You're alive." The words leave my mouth as I gape at them in awe.

"Damn right we're alive." The large burly Cullen snarls. "But you sure as hell aren't about to be."

My eyes widen as I process their intentions and I stumble backwards as they advance. "Wait, please wait!"

The hurdling force of angry supernaturals hesitate, and I drop to my knees, holding out my hands in surrender. "Please... I want to help you go after Sang."

My head bows in shame. "I... I know I don't deserve to live after what I allowed them to do, but it's not too late to stop what's about to happen. If you would let me, I can help you save her."

A deep growl sounds above me and I clench my eyes shut, waiting for the kill strike.

"What do you mean? Something is happening to Sang?"

My eyes pop open in surprise and I look up at everyone standing above me. "Uh... Well I-"

"Sang is going to be turned tonight." A man with unruly golden brown hair states in a tight voice.

"How did you know-?"

"Not important." He interrupts. "Where are all of the guards posted? What is the best way to get in?"

My mouth open and closes for a minute, trying to process an answer to the question. One of the wolves steps forward and growls menacingly, his black fur raised, making him look imposing in the dark of the night.

"He says to 'hurry the fuck up'." The blonde Cullen says impatiently. "Do you know or not?"

My mouth snaps closed and I straighten my spine. This is my chance to do what I should have done long ago.

"Yes, I can get you in."