Chapter Twenty One

"What did he do to you in that dream?" North asks me seriously.

Well shit.

I shift uncomfortably in my spot on the floor. How does one go about telling overprotective, moody werewolves about an abusive jackass?

You don't.

"Anyone hungry?" I jump up, wobbling slightly from the sudden shift in balance, and try to run towards the hallway. Unfortunately I underestimated the boys' stubbornness, as well as their ability to stand quickly.

Nine boys leap up and create a wall, effectively blocking the doorway. I look at each of them, pleading with my eyes to let it go, but they stare back, unwavering.

I sigh in defeat and lean against the sink, rubbing at my temples and the headache building there.

"Look, I don't know what you want me to tell you. Vladimir is not a nice man. He has a temper, and I just happen to find myself on the receiving end of it sometimes. That's really all there is to it."

I peek up at them when I hear silence. None of them have moved. They stand stoically, arms crossed over chests. My eyes meet Mr. Blackbourne's and he quirks a brow at me, waiting.

I huff and tuck my hands self consciously under my armpits. How can they expect me to share all of the nitty gritty details? I don't want to see the look on their faces; the pity when I tell them things he's done.

I stare at my feet, mouth remaining stubbornly shut. I hear a sigh and I look up to see Kota has moved towards me.

"Would it be better if I asked specific questions and you can just answer yes or no?" He asks gently.

I ponder this a moment. It would be better than having to talk about it myself, and maybe they wouldn't think to ask about certain things. Then they can finally let it go and we can all move on. I nod slowly, meeting his deep emerald eyes.

"Okay then." Kota begins, looking nervous. "So, um, has Vladimir ever hurt you?"

I stare at him incredulously and he winces. "Sorry, dumb question. Has he ever hit you?"

I nibble my lip and nod my head. Some of the guys curse and I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I mean, honestly, what did you expect? Did you think that we baked cookies and had pillow fights?

Kota swallows and clenches his fists. "Where?" He asks lowly.

"That's not a yes or no question." I answer a bit sharply. I wince and look at my feet. "I'm sorry, this isn't easy."

A hand grasps my chin gently, guiding it up until I'm forced to meet green eyes. They hold no judgement, or even pity. Just sadness, and acceptance, and... love? No, just compassion. I shake my head slightly and nod at Kota to continue his questions.

"Were they serious injuries? Did he... Did he break bones?" Kota asks, adam's apple bobbing as he forces the question out.

My arm wraps around my waist as phantom pain from my ribs earlier echoes through my mind. The movement isn't lost on any of the boys as their eyes dart to where I'm holding my stomach.

"Pookie?" Sean steps forward hesitantly, eyes scanning me for injuries.

"It was just a dream, Dr. Green. It's not there in real life, even if I remember it happening." I whisper, trying to reassure him.

His eyes narrow at me. "What isn't there? Kota mentioned breaking bones... Did something happen to your ribs?"

I hesitate for a second, then nod. No point in trying to hide it now. Let's get this over with.