Chapter Twenty Five

"So. Here we are again. Just you and me." I stare into the familiar haunted green eyes as I wipe away fog on the mirror from my shower. I brace my hands on the counter and peer at the pale, plain face in front of me, hoping for some sign -- some grand revelation that will tell me what I'm supposed to do.

She merely stares blankly back at me, waiting. I blow out a noisy breath, shaking my head. "This is ridiculous, Sang. You know you like them, hell, you might even love them. Even if you don't deserve it, they do. It would be wrong to deprive them of their soulmate. Right?"

I cock my head, nibbling on my lip. "Right." I breathe, decisively nodding my head. "We can do this."

The girl stares doubtfully back at me, a frown marring her lips. Nine guys, Sang! Nine! What are you thinking? You can't even handle yourself. They'd run as soon as you decide to let them in. You're too much baggage.

My shoulders slump and I run a weary hand over my face, tired of this endless inner debate that refuses to let me have peace. I desperately want them, but everything that's been ingrained in me for years won't just disappear in a night.

You can't even guarantee that they will get you away from Vlad. He was angrier than ever last time, he's not just going to let that go.

"Well I have to try!" I growl, running an agitated hand through my tangled hair. "I can't just give up and spend the rest of my life under that asshole's thumb, knowing that there are nine guys out there who I love and who actually love me in return! If I don't give this a chance then I will regret it for the rest of my life." I suck in a ragged breath and lean my forehead against the mirror, waiting for the niggling doubts to come pouring in.

Yet there is silence.

For once, there is no argument or doubt filling my mind. Silence echoes blissfully, filling me with an unfamiliar peace. My eyes widen and I back my head away to look at my reflection in the mirror. There's determination in my eyes and a flush in my cheeks; there's evidence of life and a flame that has been diminished for years. I had my answer all along, it just took me saying it out loud to realize.

I blink at my reflection, lips twitching up into smile. Giddy laughter bubbles up in my chest and I giggle, covering my cheeks with my hands. I'm really doing this?

"What the hell am I going to do with nine soulmates?" I grin and bite my lip, shaking my head.

"Guess we'll find out." I sigh happily, making my way out of the bathroom to go find the guys.

XXX

After searching the living room and kitchen and still coming up empty, I resign myself to returning to my room without them.

They waited forever to tell me about imprinting, I think they can suffer one night not knowing.

I smile to myself as I climb into bed, imagining them nervously sweating in anticipation of my decision. As if I could ever say no to them.

Distracted with the images of the boys, I sink into the comfy mattress. My eyes steadily drift shut and I fall asleep with the hope that perhaps I even got Mr. Blackbourne to squirm a bit.

A feathery touch tickles my face and I scrunch my nose, playfully swatting at it.

"Luke, cut it out." I giggle, rolling on my side.

The light touch brushes against my nose again and I sigh, opening my eyes to give Luke a taste of his own medicine. My eyes widen as they land on the real culprit: a beautiful butterfly perched on the tip of my nose.