Chapter Thirty One

Sean's POV

"Owen" I say quietly, watching him as he tears his eyes away from the sleeping beauty in front of us. "We need to talk about what comes next."

He sighs and drops his head in his hands. "I don't know, Sean. For once in my life I am at a complete loss -- this whole thing is a mess."

"Well it's a good thing you've always been good at fixing our messes." I smirk, letting my eyes drift across Sang's perfect features.

Truthfully, I wasn't too concerned about the situation. We were destiny babies, and no little thing like a sudden species switch was going to change that. I would follow her anywhere.

Owen sighs again and brushes a finger across Sang's pale cheek. "I can't lose her now, Sean. Not when I was just starting to...to..."

"To love her?" I offer, seeing him struggle for the words. He looks up at me, an unusual vulnerability shining in his normally impassive grey eyes. He swallows and nods slowly. My face breaks out into a cheesy grin and I clap my hand on his shoulder.

"Well then, Owen, let's go convince the boys that a Pookie with fangs is still a Pookie!"

"And if they decide that she is not?"

The thought alone was enough to create a tightening in my chest, and if my suspicions were correct, the feeling would be mutual amongst my brothers.

"I don't think they're willing to give up on her either."

Owen is silent for a moment, staring pensively at his hand resting on Sang's cheek. "Everything will change now. It will not be easy."

"Our relationship was never going to be a conventional one, Owen. This will just make it a bit more interesting than we previously imagined!"

Something hardens in Owen's eyes, familiar steel flooding his gaze with determination. He stands and faces me, looking more sure than I've seen him in the past week. "We've failed her so many times, Sean. I will not fail her in this... I will not abandon her to face this alone."

A hopeful smile blooms on my face. If the closed off, stick-up-the-butt Owen Blackbourne has fallen for Pookie, the others are sure to follow.

XXX

We find the others huddled outside, silent and broken. I pause for a moment, observing how radically Sang has impacted the dynamic of our little family in just the few days we've known her.

Where constant noise and bickering would have once rang out loudly, suffocating silence now permeates the air in her absence. It's as though an important piece of our puzzle is missing, and we have no way to connect without it.

Luke is staring listlessly at the ground, normally playful eyes dull, while his partner in crime stands silently tugging at his hair. Victor directs his empty gaze at the sky, fingers resting motionless on his leg, while the normally level headed Kota paces restlessly, undoubtedly running the numbers through his head, unsure of where he went wrong. Nathan and Silas watch him quietly, faces blank. North sits further apart from the group, numbly chipping away at a piece of wood by his feet.

As the pack's medic, I should be concerned by the unhealthy behaviour displayed in front of me, but I couldn't bring myself to worry when it was clear they were all just missing Pookie. This is good, it means they will agree to stay.

North glares at me as I bounce over to them with a barely concealed grin.

"What the fuck can you be so damn jolly about?"