Chapter Three

"You can read minds." I whisper.

Edward cringes. "Normally yes, but you're actually just like your sister, frustratingly enough."

I turn to Bella, raising a brow.

"He can't read my mind." She says with a slight smile.

I turn back to Edward, confused. "So how did you know I was thinking about Vlad?" He shifts, gesturing with a hand.

"For some reason when Renesmee was sharing her memories with you, it opened up your mind and I could hear your thoughts. So, who's Vlad? And how did he know about the Volturi?"

The others in the room tense up. "Is he how you know so much about vampires?" The blonde man -- Carlisle -- asks. They all stare at me expectantly. I shift nervously.

"Uh well, he's my friend? And um we both read a lot of books." I mumble.

They squint at me, unwavering.

"Accurate books?" I squeak out, hating how awful I am at lying. But this was one situation I didn't want brought up.

"You know, this has been kind of a shock to the system. I think I'm gonna take a walk, get some fresh air." I ramble, drifting towards the door. Everyone tenses.

"I'm sorry but we can't just let you-" My chuckle cuts Carlisle off.

"Listen Doc -- can I call you Doc? Look, I'm not gonna go run and expose your secret. I promise, I'm just going on a walk. This is all a bit stifling."

"Still, how can we trust you'll return?"

"I can assure you, I'm just as curious about you as I'm sure you are about me. Particularly your... eating habits." I try to smile reassuringly. I'm sure it comes out more like a grimace. "I'll be back. Please don't follow me."

XXX

Trekking through the forest has always done wonders for my addled brain. I wasn't lying to the Cullens when I said I needed air and time to think. As if finding out my dead sister was not the permanent-buried-in-the-ground dead, and more like the I'm-gonna-suck-you-dry-because-I-have-fangs dead wasn't enough, she married one of the spawns and had a child with him! Granted, it's obvious from Renesmee's memories that they're not the conventional bloodsucking monster, I still couldn't trust them.

And what's more, there is no way I could bring Bella back to Mom and Charlie. My dreams of a life back home were dashed with the word: "vampire".

I sigh, taking a moment to look at my surroundings. I had stopped in a beautiful meadow, with a stream tumbling in a waterfall to a pool below.

I take a deep breath, closing my eyes and attuning my senses to the nature around me. A sharp crack echoes through the meadow.

"I thought I told you not to follow me." I say, turning towards the offensive noise. The breath whooshes out of me as I catch sight of the tall stocky figure.

"Stefan." I breath, stumbling back a few steps. His glowing red eyes follow me critically. "What are you doing here?" I demand. His lips turn up in an all too familiar smirk.

"Come now, you don't think Vladimir lets you leave his domain all by yourself, do you?"

My breath hitches as he takes his time wandering closer to me. Though I had always suspected Vlad might keep track of me when I went away, I never expected to be followed so thoroughly. And by Stefan nonetheless! Him and I had a horrible track record together. Vlad should know better than to send him after me.

His fingers caress flower petals as he comes closer, sending shivers down my spine. As he stops in front of me, his features twist in a snarl and his fingers come up to grasp my chin roughly.

"What's this I see of you fraternizing with other vamps?" He hisses. "Vladimir certainly won't approve."

I flinch back, but his fingers just grip harder. "I- I didn't know they were vampires until recently. As soon as I found out, I tried to escape."

Stefan sneers. "And they just let you go? No vamp in their right mind would let someone with blood so..." He drags his nose down my neck, licking the skin over my collarbone. "...delectable, go." He finishes, blood red eyes dancing with lust and dark amusement.

I swallow, clenching my fists in disgust. "Well they're not normal. They drink animal blood, not human blood." Stefan recoils, dropping his fingers from my chin.

"What kind of filthy abominations-" He freezes suddenly. Before I can react, he's spun me around in front of him; my back to his chest, his arm around my throat. My head spins as I try to reorient myself. When I do, my breath leaves me in a gasp.

Creeping out of the trees into the meadow are the biggest wolves I have ever seen.

"Damn werewolves." Stefan growls by my ear. My heart stutters in my chest.

"Werewolves?" I hiss. "Are you freaking kidding me?" A huge black wolf reveals razor teeth with a snarl. More and more are appearing from the trees. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine.

While I've been ogling the massive creatures, Stefan has maneuvered us so that we're standing on the outcropping over the waterfall.

"Let's hope they're more invested in saving you than killing me." Stefan breathes in my ear. I stiffen.

"What the hell are you talking about?" I squeak. His arms tighten around me briefly.

"I hope you know how to swim, or Vlad will be mighty pissed with me."

Then I'm flying through the air, without even breath to scream, before I'm plunged into icy blackness.