Chapter 1

I walked around the room, looking at the empty walls and how empty it looked without most of my belongings. It felt weird seeing my room like this empty and how 18 years of my life packed into a few boxes. Ever since I was younger, I've never seen my room this empty; I haven't ever seen my dresses not messy with clothes spilling out of it, never seen my walls this empty without the painting I made starting at the age of 8, never seen my desk clutter-free, and never ever seen my bookcase empty.

My mum suggested that I should just leave my things here, but to me, it made sense to move my things with me starting today. I didn't want to do the moving drive twice. My plan after college has always been to move to New York for work. It was nothing like home, and that's how I wanted that feeling. Since the age of 12, Sam and I knew what we wanted; we wanted to move to the big city to study different majors at NYU, then we'd move in together to a small apartment in Brooklyn.

I turned to the door with a small smile on my face. I watched my mum walk around the room with her arms wrapped around herself. She looked down at my packed boxes, then at the empty desk.

"Are you sure about this, Alex?" My mum asked "You don't have to move out yet, at least not entirely. What if your things don't fit in the new place?"

"They will" I ensured her "I already seen the place, and it's massive. I mean for student apartment, the place is spacious"

"What if it does not look like the pictures? what if its way smaller and in some shady neighborhood?" she asked, worry evident in his voice and expression "What if you don't like your roommates"

"Well I will just have to deal with it" I told her "It's my fault for contacting the landlord so late. If I had earlier, I might have at least had a higher possibility of rooming with Sam. But that doesn't matter, this will be good for me, I will get to meet new people"

She gave me a small smile "You know, I talked to some of the other mums in the neighbourhood, almost everyone is going to community college or some university that is an hour away from here to stay home" she said "Why can't you stay here and go somewhere closer like everyone else"

"Because you taught me not to be like the other kids" I said as I gave her a side hug "You told me to be better than the other kids and aim higher than everyone else no matter where that takes me. Today, aiming higher takes me in New York"

A small sad smile appeared on her face "I will would at least let me drive you there" she said "So I know that you settled down, safe and have everything you need"

"It's a 6 hours drive. I don't want you and dad to make a 12 hour trip and exhaust yourself" I told her "Sam is taking her car there anyways, so it would make more sense if we just drive up there"

She leaned her head against my shoulder "I just can't believe how 18 years passed so fast"

I smiled "I honestly don't know either" I told her "I promise I will always come visit during breaks, holidays, or when I just miss you cooking"

"Ugh, don't even get me started on cooking. I don't understand how you will survive when your cooking skills are worst than anyone I have ever seen"

I faked an offended look "Wow, is that what you think?"

"Alex, that's what we all know" she said.

"Well I'm going to prove you wrong, when I come back, I will chubbier than ever because of all the amazing food I self taught myself to make" I said.

She smiled "I'm going to miss you" she said.

"You have no idea" I joked right before my dad walked into the room.