Going Out

A few weeks later I went to see Alex and Caleb. I hadn’t seen them in forever, since work and Sarah’s abuse had kind of been taking over my life, and I tried to ignore the fact that I was kind of beaten up. Alex let me in and Caleb jump hugged me, making me flinch a little. I knew Alex noticed it but he kept quiet and I hugged Caleb back.

"So what brings you here?" Caleb asked and I shrugged.

"Just thought I'd come see you two"

Alex smiled. "S'good to see you" he said and I smiled back. “We missed you”

"I missed you too. I've just been busy with work and Sarah and the kids, y'know?"

"Yeah. How's it going with Sarah these days?"

"Good" I smiled faintly. "I hope the ginger's not been causing you any trouble"

"Hey" Caleb pouted.

"Well, the kitchen looks like a bomb went off because someone wanted cookies, but y'know, he'll clean it up," Alex said, smiling at Caleb, "Won't you?" he said and Caleb pouted. "Why don't you bring some of them out? I could do with one after witnessing the mess in there"

Caleb kept up the pout, going off to get his cookies.

"So, uh, what's with the beaten up look, Hadley?" Alex asked.

"Hm? Oh, nothing"

"Get in a fight lately?" he asked and I shook my head. "Seriously Hadley, you've worried me. You went totally silent for weeks and suddenly you turn up without warning, looking like someone's done quite a number on you. I just wanna make sure everything's okay."

"I'm fine, seriously" I said, smiling when he still seemed kind of worried.

I was kind of taken aback when Alex wrapped me in a hug. See, Alex doesn’t exactly do touchy feely stuff very often. I hugged back, taking advantage of it while I could.

"I'm here to talk to if you need it, y'know" Alex said.

"Thanks"

Alex pulled back, clearing his throat a little, and Caleb returned with the cookies. Alex smiled up at him, taking one when he was offered it. Caleb ate his own with a glass of milk and I sort of nibbled at mine, not all that hungry. The three of us chatted away, and Caleb accidentally made me flinch a few times. Alex did his best to stop Caleb from doing it, but Caleb didn’t seem to understand what he was doing wrong. Alex did his best to gently explain that I was flinching because Caleb was being to hyper or something, and Caleb looked up at him innocently.

"It's not your fault, ginger, don't worry about it. Just try not to be so bouncy, 'kay?" Alex said, kissing the top of Caleb’s head.

He played with Caleb’s hair as the ginger sulked a little, shoving another cookie in his mouth.

"Though, Bunny's free to tell us what's made him so jumpy" Alex added.

"It's nothing" I said and Alex looked at me. “What?”

He shrugged. "I just want to know what's going on"

"Nothing's going on"

"Then what's got you so jumpy?"

"Nothing"

I was well aware of the fact that he didn’t believe me, and I nibbled at my cookie a little more. Alex dropped the questioning and Caleb put on a cartoon like he used to do whenever he felt left out. The three of us all watched whatever it was Caleb had put on and I nibbled at my cookie again, debating telling them about Sarah. Alex looked at me again when Caleb made me flinch again.