Anywhere

I was going through the mail a few weeks later when I found an airmailed envelope. I opened it up, find another envelope with Maxxie’s mom and gramps’ names on it, and, what I knew from experience without even looking at it, a wedding invitation. I looked at it, smiling when I saw Ava’s familiar handwriting, all swirly and pretty, inviting me and the kids to her and Ryan’s wedding and apologising for the notice being a little short. I’d heard all about the problems they were having getting everything booked on time, and they’d had to push the date back more than a few times, but it was nice to know they finally had everything sorted. I picked up the other envelope, grabbing my coat and rounding up the kids for a visit to grandma’s.

I knocked on the door outside their house, holding the kids’ hands as we waited. It wasn’t exactly cold out, but I didn’t want their hands getting cold. I smiled as Maxxie’s mom answered the door.

"Guess who" I said and she smiled back.

"Hey guys" she said, hugging the kids.

"How's the old man?"

"Not bad"

"Mind if we come in?" I smiled.

"Sure. You guys want anything?"

The kids both asked for some soda, and I told her I was fine, heading for the living room since I knew that’s where gramps would be. I smiled when I saw him sat in an armchair, watching TV like the old man he was.

"Hey" I said, still smiling.

"Hey kiddo" he smiled back. "How're you doing?”

"Not too bad, thanks. And yourself?"

"Well I'd rather be outside playing tennis or something, but the arthritis is being a bitch" he laughed.

"Sorry to hear that" I said, laughing slightly and he chuckled.

"Don't worry about it. Looks like my age finally caught up with me, though"

"You might want to keep it at bay for another couple months" I said, handing him the envelope.

"I plan on keeping it at bay for much longer than that" he said as he opened it and I smiled. "They're finally getting married? That's great" he grinned and I nodded.

"And it's only taken them like a year to plan the thing" I chuckled, making him laugh. "And they've asked Lily to be bridesmaid and Danny and Riley have been put in charge of keeping the rings safe"

"And their other kid? They had another kid, right?"

"He's being a flower girl" I announced and gramps laughed.

Picking Up The Pieces (Working Title)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara