Sorry About The Door

“I’m gonna kill him. I’m gonna kill him and I never want to see him again” Caleb spa angrily once I’d calmed him down enough to vaguely make sense.

“Who?” I asked, making sure the kids were distracted. I didn’t trust Caleb not to swear, nor did I trust him not to go into vividly graphic details.

“Alex”

“Why?”

“Guess who just got a call from the hospital telling me he’s broken various bones in a fight”

I arched an eyebrow, not really understanding why Alex being in hospital would be grounds for murder.

“Y’know how he started fighting professionally and legally so he wouldn’t get killed or anything?” he asked and I nodded. “Well guess who’s gone back to illegal fucking matches”

“How do you know that was from an illegal one?”

“He wasn’t scheduled for any fights today”

“Shouldn’t you be talking to him about this instead of me?”

“No. Because like I said, I’m gonna kill him and I don’t want to see him again”

“I think you’re overreacting a bit there, Gayleb”

“No, Hadley, I’m not overreacting. I’m gonna sound like a bitch for saying this, but you’ve never had to worry about Maxxie or the kids like I end up worrying about him, and that’s when he’s fighting legally. You’ve already lost your husband, but I haven’t”

I’ll admit that stung, but I didn’t let it show. “So killing him won’t be losing him? Or never seeing him again?”

Caleb pouted. Yeah, didn’t think so, ginger.

“Go and speak to him”

“No” he said sulkily.

“Why not?”

“Because he’s an asshole and I don’t want to speak to him”

“Then let me speak to him”

“No”

“Why not?”

“Because knowing my luck, he’ll try and charm his way into your pants” he pouted, earning a confused look from me. “Him and Maxxie were together seven years, right?” he questioned, and I nodded. “Well I’ve got an extra two years on that, who’s to say he’s not bored of me now”

“Which is why you need to go and talk to him”

“No” he sulked.

I let out a sigh. Caleb, I swear to God I’m going to strangle you one of these days. Just as I was about to try and reason with him, his phone rang. He looked at the caller ID before promptly turning his phone off. Three guesses who called him. The house phone rang a few minutes later and I answered it, ignoring Caleb spewing death threats and obscenities at me.

“Is Caleb there with you?” Alex asked once I’d answered the phone.

“Yeah, he is”

“How mad is he?” he asked, just in time to hear Caleb growl “Hang up on him or I’m killing you too”

Charming. Kill your best friend. Thanks, Caleb.

“Text me?” Alex asked.

“Sure” I said, hanging up before the ginger had a chance to attack me.

"Tell him I'm really sorry" he texted me not long after.

"He says he's still killing you" I replied once I’d passed on the message and received an answer a lot more vulgar than I’d relayed.