Too Drunk

A couple weeks later, the kids were on their play date with the kid from the hospital. Lewis, right? We’d taken the kids to the park and let them play for a while, before Sarah bought them all an ice cream. The three of them devoured their ice creams before going off to play again. I watched the kids, blushing a little when I noticed that Sarah had been watching me.

"What's the blush for?" she asked, smiling.

"I dunno" I laughed slightly and she chuckled.

"It's cute"

"Is it?" I asked and she nodded. “If you say so” I laughed.

"I do" she said, kissing my cheek and making me blush more.

"What?" I asked, laughing embarrassedly when she giggled.

"You're just cute" she shrugged.

I couldn’t see it myself but I didn’t argue. I’d learnt not to over the years. She smiled again, and the both of us went back to watching the kids.

"What're you doing later?" Sarah asked after a while.

"Nothing, as far as I know. Why?"

"Wondered if you'd be up for going out for dinner"

"Sure" I smiled.

Sarah smiled back and Danny clambered up on my lap, apparently bored of playing with Lewis. I kissed the top of his head as he leant against me.

"Hey Danny" Sarah smiled at him and he just looked at her. "Don't talk much, do you?" she asked and he shook his head. “How come?”

"He's a little shy around people, that's all" I explained when Danny just watched her again.

"Doesn't it freak you out that he doesn't talk?"

"No" I said, earning myself this bemused smiled. “Should it?”

"I dunno. Maybe I'm just too used to my own being such a chatterbox" she said and I laughed. "He doesn't have an off switch" she laughed.

"Sounds like my nephew"

"Oh?"

"He's always talking about one thing or another" I smiled, making a mental note to go see Ava some time before the wedding.

Sarah smiled and I kissed the top of Danny’s head again. Sarah went back to watching Lewis, who was quite happily playing with Lily.

"They seem to be getting on" she said.

"Yeah" I smiled, playing with Danny’s hair. “What d’you think of him?” I asked him.

Danny just buried his face in my chest, making me laugh. I let him go join the others when he wriggled off my lap.

"I think that means he thinks he's okay" I said.

"Really?" Sarah asked.

"Yep"

"Didn't look much like it”

"Didn't it?"

She shook her head. "Not really"

"Oh" I said, laughing slightly and she just shrugged. "I guess that shows you get used to how he behaves and stuff, then"

"Mm. It'll take some getting used to, definitely"

"It's not too difficult" I smiled and she let out a hum. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, looking at the time. "Right, well we better be going. I promised my mom I'd stop by and see her"

"Oh right, okay"

"I'll see you later, right?"

Sarah nodded. "Sure"