Chapter 23

Hyeri felt time swing by in a split second as she sat with the plain white envelope in her hands. The last thing she remembered from that afternoon was the rushed explanation from Mina after they left school.

"I've remembered something, I can't tell you yet until I've confirmed I'm right. But when I do find out, which will be by no later than tonight, I will send you a letter. The letter will tell you the instructions for the cure."

"But why do I have to do it?"

"You'll understand when you will read the letter."

The envelope, a light mass of paper, felt oddly heavy in her hands. Its value was crushing her mentally and physically, which was funny how a mere piece of paper can change a person's life.

She vaguely stared at the immaculate surface for a while longer before carefully opening the envelope, revealing a neatly folded piece of paper. She wasted no time and unfolded the paper, slowly scanning the first lines with her eyes.

It was brief, and by the time she finished reading, her heart was running miles. She knew what the cure was. All she needed now was courage and Jungkook. Her heart picked up an even faster pace at the mental mention of his name.

How's he going to react? Of course, he wouldn't mind much if it would turn him back to human.

She glanced around in search of the little form, then remembered he was taking a nap in the drawer. She felt her heart drop again at the thought of the cure. It was simple, yet mind-blowing, and it gave her an odd feeling of déjà vu. Talk about the remedy being right under your nose.

She shivered and thought again. What if it was a joke? She searched for her phone before grabbing it and sending a quick text to Mina.

Is that a joke?

Mina: No

How did you find out?

Mina: Magic of advanced books. Should have researched more in depth

OK

Why me?

Mina: Because you're not his sibling

Can't someone else do it?

Mina: That. Would. Be. So. Weird. How could you even think of that?

True. But this is so embarrassing

Mina: Good luck ;)

She gulped and squinted her eyes at the last text; she could imagine Mina having fun of her reaction. The last thing she needed was more stress thrown at her.

She looked at the ajar drawer and decided it was better to leave Jungkook in his dreamland and walk down to the kitchen to clear her mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------

5:04 am.

She woke up earlier than she had thought. But she couldn't blame herself to feel so nervous.
She washed up and sat back down on her bed, lost in her own train of thoughts.

Today was the day Jungkook would turn back to human.

Her stomach clenched and churned, her fists hot and sweaty, her toes curling in distress. She had never felt so uneasy. She let out a breathy whimper before standing up and closing the door, not wanting her mum to be involved in the matter at all.

A small yawn was heard straight after, making her turn her head towards the drawer in alarmed mode.

"It's early..." Jungkook's light voice said before a miniature toothbrush poked out of the drawer, followed by a hand holding it tightly. "Good morning."

Hyeri didn't say anything as she saw him leave the room then returning after his business.

"Why are you so quiet?"

There it goes.

"I-I got the cure," Hyeri hated herself for stuttering out of nowhere, she didn't want to sound like an idiot. "Well, I know what to do."

"Really? What is it?"

It took all her courage from the depths of her body to show him the letter. If she was suffering for that, how was she going to do during the act?

She saw his eyes follow every word in the paper, before they met hers. Her heart was drumming against her ears before it subsided after his words.

"Go on, then."

"W-what?"

"Kiss me."

His confident words and eyes fuelled her heart to drum even louder than before, and Hyeri could almost swear it could have been heard by him.

Kiss him. All I have to do is kiss him.

She moved both hands closer to him and carefully held him, making him sit on her palms. She awkwardly stared at him for a few seconds before gathering up all her force and moving her lips closer to his face.

Her ears were burning with heat when she felt his small lips pressed against hers, and it took her a moment to realise the flow of energy around them.

Small light sparks came to view and Hyeri broke the kiss, feeling light-headed. She watched the little form on her hands emanate light before shining brightly and making her close her eyes.

And then she felt the weight on her hands disappear.