Chapter 17

Monday was a rather thoughtful day. Hyeri knew she was panicking deep down, but overall kept her emotions cool. She had no help. Jungkook appeared in her life out of nowhere, bringing an apparently life threatening problem with him.

It was like one of those extremely frustrating maths questions, where you think there is a way to answer, but then change your mind thinking it is too easy to be an answer. So you try again and then stop abruptly, mumbling about the time wasted on the task, which led you to nowhere.

Hyeri grimaced. Life is a maths equation itself.

It slowly became awkward, too, when she started noticing a girl who sat at the row in front of hers in her history class. Her name was Mina. Infinite glances have been shared with the brunette throughout the whole lesson.

Hyeri tried to ignore, but it happened again in her next lesson, where the girl happened to be in her class. She first thought it was something about her face, but the girl's urgent expression told her otherwise.

"Um, hi." Hyeri greeted her outside the class at the end of the lesson.

"Hey..." Mina said, nervously scratching her cheek. She knew Hyeri would face her sooner or later, but it was still hard to pull her tongue out.

"You've been...looking at me. A lot. Is there something you want to tell me?" Hyeri asked, trying her best to look at the girl's unfocused coffee coloured eyes.

Unwanted silence filled the distance between them, as if the whole building was watching them, patiently waiting for Mina's answer.

"Can we go to a quiet place first?"

-------------------------------------------------------------

They were comfortably seated on a bench outside the building, the view of a loud football pitch filling their sight. They awkwardly remained quiet for a few minutes, waiting for each other to say something first.

Mina gave up and started.

"Um, this may seem awkward and surprising..." She bit down on her bottom lip, still unable to explain her thoughts. "OK. Let me just say it. You know Jungkook, right?"

Mina turned her head to meet Hyeri's surprised eyes.

"What? No. What?" Hyeri felt her heart drop on the floor. The question was a surprise attack and she was completely unprepared for the answer. A million assumptions started flooding her mind and she picked the most probable one.

It's probably a common name.

"Jungkook...? Who?" She avoided Mina's eyes, trying not to look guilty.

"...I know he's with you, you don't have to hide it."

"How do you know?" Hyeri asked.

"I'm his sister." Mina said looking at her in the eyes, as if trying to clear a hidden misunderstanding.

A wave of cold breeze washed the trees, leaves whispering to each other as if examining the situation. Funny, how surroundings seem to react together with emotions.

Hyeri tilted her head in surprise, searching the depths of the girl's eyes to find any traces of lies. She found none.

"So...you have a twin?"

"Yeah, in class B. Did Jungkook tell you that?"

"Yeah. How did you know he's with me?"

"Me and Misun spent many days tracking him down, since the spell cast on him is a very powerful one," Mina sighed. "Is he here?"

Hyeri shook her head. "No, I left him home just to be safe."

Mina nodded. "Good." She looked up at the clear sky, blinking at the brightness. "I didn't see him in ages."

"Does your mother know his location?"

"Hm? Who knows." She thought for a while. "Probably not, since he's been sealed away. It would make sense, a woman like her has no heart, she wouldn't give up her time to look for her child."

Hyeri's heart burned at her words; no one would want their mother to act like that towards them.

"Can I come to your place to see him after school?"