Chapter 20

The next few days went by like a blur to Hyeri. Everything was happening so quickly, yet so slowly.

When did Jungkook first show up? Almost 2 months ago. When did the sisters show up? Just last week. And how long will it take for everything to be fixed? Weeks. Probably months. Or years.

Ugh, not years, please.

Hyeri groaned, pulling the heavy bed covers up to her nose. It was cold. Days were starting to last longer, but the weather kept offending her every day. The chilly morning air was sinfully washing her as if teasingly provoking her.

She lazily turned her head to eye the top drawer of her bedside table, which was ajar, an unintentional sign that told her the little fairy was still asleep.

Of course, or by now he would have abused me from sleeping hard.

She was starting to doze off again when her mum noisily entered the room.

"Wake up, Hyeri, just because it's the weekend doesn't mean you can sleep up to 11!"

Hyeri groaned again as she didn't bother opening her eyes. "Blame the winter for making me extra sleepy," she heard her mum shuffle closer to the bedside table.

"And why do you always keep this drawer open? I have to close this every time I enter the room," she said as she moved her hands towards the drawer.

"What? Mum don't-," she couldn't finish her sentence as her mum fully opened the drawer, looked inside for a few seconds, then closed it with a neutral expression, as if there was nothing unusual inside the drawer.

As if there was no fairy sleeping inside.

"Well then, get up quickly, I prepared breakfast. I'll be going to work in a bit," her mum said before she nonchalantly left the room. Hyeri blinked confusedly before sitting up and opening the drawer, revealing nothing but an awake Jungkook.

"If you can appear invisible to her, why not at school?" Hyeri asked as she watched him crawl out the drawer.

"Because there are too many people. I can't channel that much power with this tiny body."

"Wow. Talk about misfortune."

"Rude."

"Hyeri! Get up now, I'm leaving! Breakfast is on the table!" She heard her mum's faint voice from downstairs before a soft click of the front door silenced the house.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"No. I don't remember throwing it away," Hyeri argued as she fixed her bed. The exquisite smell of breakfast lured her away from her room like a hungry cat, making her forget about the comfortable, warm bed.

But the silent and happy conversation with the food led to a questionable one with the fairy. "You came out the shell and it just...disappeared. Unless you purposely hid it somewhere."

"No. There is no need to, anyway. It probably just disappeared into nothing after a while, knowing how useless it is-,"

"Rude," Hyeri said in a mocking tone, purposely mimicking him of his earlier comment. "I have a question. Do you guys use magic even for home chores? Like, cleaning the house in a snap or making food appear without going out to buy?"

"...No. Using magic is not as easy as you think it is, there is a certain line we're not supposed to cross. If we could use magic as freely, the world wouldn't even exist by now, knowing how spoilt people can be," Jungkook answered bitterly, as if he'd had experience regarding it.

"So...the Council that you've recently been talking about. What do they do?"

"It's an organisation of very strong wizards and witches that control how magic is being handled. If you're good, they'll leave you be. If you go too far, you'll face punishment. Even though all this is for fairness, they sound scary to me."

Hyeri was going to ask another question when a vibrating ring caught their attention. She reached over to the bedside table where her phone was resting, pressing answer to the caller.

"Hi Mina," she beamed.

"Hyeri. My uncle came yesterday."