Chapter 9

Hyeri stood awkwardly at the doorway of her bedroom as she recalled the scenes of her dream.
She had no idea what time it was; a quick glance at the alarm clock on the bedside table made her wonder how she was not feeling hungry yet when she didn't have dinner.

Why didn't mum try to wake me up?

It was 2:37 in the morning, and for a moment she forgot what day it was.

Friday.

She turned around and silently walked towards her parents' room. She turned the cold handle and the door opened to reveal her...no one. Her mum was not there. She glanced around, expecting her to be in the bathroom, but its door was ajar and the light was switched off.

She was alone downstairs a while ago, and she did not see anyone there.
Small waves of panic bloomed in her chest as she ran back to her room and snatched her phone from under the pillows. Her mum was always at home at this time.

She patiently waited as she listened to the annoying rings vibrating off to the other line, ending up in voice message. She groaned, starting to worry about why her mum wasn't at home and why she was not calling her back.

Something clicked in her mind as she eyed the top ajar drawer of her bedside table.

Jungkook.

She opened the drawer, revealing half of his head poking out from her scarf, which was wrapped around his small body. She gently shook him with her index, but all she received was a soft snore.

She gently picked him up with her hands and unwrapped the scarf, staring down at the sleeping form on her hands.

He looked so real, yet so unreal.
She poked his soft cheek as an effort to wake him up, although she wanted to just stare at the fairy for the rest of the night.

He then slowly opened his eyes, and sat up on her hands, looking up at her with tired eyes.

"Why did you wake me up now..." He groggily said.

"Mum's not home," Hyeri breathed out. "Can you perhaps...know where she is?"

Jungkook fully opened his eyes. "What do you mean your mum's not home? Did she not come back from work?"

"I don't know...I was asleep all this time, and I'm quite sure no pharmacy is supposed to be open at this hour."

"Oh, right, your mum works in a pharmacy...then why's she not home?" He glanced back at the alarm clock.

2:46.

"She always comes home by 9 in the evening...and she's not answering her phone," the level of panic started to increase as seconds went by. Jungkook stood up and flied towards the bedside lamp, his wings glowing light blue as he switched the lamp on.

"I need...a belonging," he murmured as he flied back up and headed towards her parents' room as if it was his own home. "Anything that belongs to your mum."

Hyeri followed him, nervously entering the room and seeing him pick up a plain silver ring from the dresser.

"Does this belong to her?" He turned to her, showing her the ring that looked as big as a doughnut for him as he held it with his tiny hands.
She chuckled at the sight, trying to not burst out laughing.

"What?" Jungkook cluelessly questioned.

"It's just...you're so small," she bit down on her lip, desperately trying to not ruin the serious moment.

"Oh, well...I'm not as small as you think I am," Jungkook said, giving her the absolute wrong idea. Before she could fully react to what he had said, he continued. "OK. This is all I need in order to prepare a spell to find your mum. Now...shall we?"