Valentine (pt.2)

Dan POV

We arrive at the restaurant and I see all of my friends waiting outside. I see Louise specifically wink at me. She knows what's happening. They all do.

"I still don't see why we would go to dinner with all of our friends and family."

"Phil, we've been over this. We're not the only ones who celebrate? Is it celebrate? Ugh, we're not the only ones who like Valentine's Day." He laughs at my stuttering. I have every reason to stutter, though. I'm about to fucking propose.

"I know that, but it would be a lot more romantic if we were by ourselves."

"I'm starting to think that you don't like our friends."

"No! But, it's Valentine's Day, being romantic is kinda what you do, you know."

"Well, we can't just flake on them. I sort of planned this."

"Alright then, Danny." We meet up with our friends and family. We walk inside and begin the best and most stressful night of my life.

As we sit down at the reserved table, all of these scenarios keep playing through my head, stressing me out even more.

What if he says no?

What if he never loved me?

What if this ruins our relationship?

What if...?

I have to push these thoughts to the back of my mind as the waitress comes to take our orders.

"Babe, are you okay? You seem stressed."

"No, I'm fine." I reply a little too quickly and he catches on.

"Dan, you know you can tell me anything."

"Phil, trust me, I'm fine."

"Dan, are you sur-"

"I am fine. I'm okay, trust me."

"Okay then."

We converse with the people at the table and eat in almost silence. Occasionally the waitress would come and ask if we're doing alright and we would just nod and continue eating.

"Would anyone like dessert?" the waiter asks as she takes up our plates. She already knows the answer to her own question as the restaurant knew what was happening, too. All the anxiety from before comes back stronger than ever as I know what's getting closer.

"Um, yeah. We'll all have the red velvet cupcakes. I heard that they're great here."

"Yes sir, they'll be out in just a minute." She winks at me before walking away.

I exchange glances with Louise, Pj and my mum. They all smile with soft eyes, which makes me feel less nervous. I keep reciting my speech that I wrote last week over and over again.

"Am I the only one who thought the waitress was hitting on Dan?" Phil blurts out. Everyone at the table laughs. Yes. Great. They're conversing. Gives me more time mentally prepare myself.

"Dan how do you feel about the situation at hand?" Damn it, Louise. I pull a fake laugh and smile.

"Very funny, guys. She was hitting on me. She probably just likes me as a person."

"That's not what that wink told me. Dan, she likes you."

"Well, I'm kinda, hella gay, so..."

"Really? I thought you were bi." Pj says. 

"Nope. Not even a little."

"Hm. Well that's news to me." Louise sighs.

Then, the waitress comes back.

Fucking brilliant.

"Here are your cupcakes, guys." She puts down a platter with a bunch a of cupcakes. Phil goes to grab on, but I grab his hand before he could. He pouts at me, but I ignore it. "Oh, and here's your other cupcake for the special one." The cupcake was exactly the same but, instead of red sprinkles, it had the engagement ring. She hands it to Phil and he looks confused before I grab the ring from the cupcake and grab his hand to drag him from the seat.

I get on one knee, still rehearsing my speech. Phil gasps and pulls his hand over his mouth. I take a deep breath and start.

"Phil, since that one day in 2009, I knew you were the one. From your dazzling smile to your beautiful blue eyes, I knew that I had so much love for you. I wasn't even sure that you were gay, bi, or whatever the fact. All I knew is that you were the person I wanted to spend my life with. Even though we we started dating on unexpected terms and even though we have two little ones on the way, I wouldn't have it any other way. I didn't know what love even felt like until I met you, as cheesy as that sounds. Babe, I want to be yours forever and I want you to be mine forever. So will you be forever and always? Will you marry me?" I sigh as I finish. Phil is full on sobbing. I smile as largely as possible as I wait for his answer.

"Oh my God, Dan. Of course, I'll marry you." I put the ring on his finger. I grab him by the waist and kiss him deeply. The kiss was filled with so much love and happiness and I could hear our family and friends cheering. We finally pull apart and Zoe has her camera out, filming the whole thing. Our mums get up and pull us in a group hug and soon everyone joins us.

That's it.

Phil is going to be mine.

Forever and always.