Chapter 21: Hope

A/N: Mature content towards the end.

Maya's POV

Riley and I decided after everyone left that we would sit on the balcony and look at the star. Nothing will ever come close to the power that the bay window had when we were growing up, but this will do as a close second. I felt like my cheesy smile was plastered on my face ever since we watched the prom video tonight. I felt my eighth grade feelings that I had buried for so many years resurfacing, except this time, I'm letting them in. I can't believe Lucas and I were finally a couple. I never thought this would happen.

"Peaches you've been glowing all night ever since you and Lucas finally actually kissed." She paused. "I haven't honestly seen you this happy before."

"I am happy Riles." I smiled. "For the first time in years I feel like anything is possible. I guess hope isn't for suckers after all."

"We all know he made the wrong choice in high school. Yes, if was the only choice he could have made at the time, but it was the wrong one." She smiled at me and held my hand like we used to when we were teenagers.

"It makes me feel better knowing you're okay with this Riles. I couldn't be with him if it hurt you." I reassured her because no matter how many years it's been since they broke up, I couldn't stand the thought of losing Riley over a guy.

"Maya, listen to me. What Lucas and I had wasn't real. You guys have always had it. I was living in a fantasy reality and fell for a boy with good looks. That's not love." She explained to me carefully. "I see how happy he makes you, who am I to keep someone from another that they were meant to be with. I've been waiting for this to happen for a long while."

"Thank you." I squeezed her hand a little so she knew I was being 100% serious. "I really want this one to work out."

"It will." She smiled at me.

"Riles, you don't know that, anything can happen." I said to her.

"That's why you enjoy the relationship and take it in while it's happening. There's moments you'll remember forever and that moment at the door was one of them." I love how supportive Riley is being about Lucas and myself. There's no other friend out there like her.

"Yeah, I can do that." I smiled back at her.

"Well, I'm gonna go to bed, I have to be to work early tomorrow." She started stretching in her chair as she yawned.

"That's fine. I'm going to stay out here for a little while longer." I smiled at her.

"Okay, I'll see you when I get off work tomorrow." She replied as she climbed in the window.

"Night." I said as I looked back up at the stars.

The last time I saw starts looking this beautiful is when we were in Texas. Ironically where my feelings started coming out for Lucas. It's real now and this is actually happening. I couldn't stop smiling. Things were falling into place. I was broken out of my thoughts by my phone vibrating. When I picked my phone up it was Lucas texting me.

*Text conversation with Lucas and Maya*

Lucas: Hey beautiful.
Maya: Hey cowboy.
Lucas: What are you doing?
Maya: Just sitting on the balcony staring at the stars and thinking about you.
Lucas: Reminds me of Texas and that campfire.
Maya: I miss you already.
Lucas: Well, I miss you too.
Maya: Hey Lucas..
Lucas: Yeah?
Maya: Come over.
Lucas: It's awfully late, wouldn't want Riley getting mad at us already.
Maya: She's already sawing logs in her sleep. I just want to be able to hang out with you without everyone around. Now that we're a thing, it won't look weird if you stay over.
Lucas: I'm on my way up. I was actually on my way to see you for the same reason. Just wanted to be sure you wanted to see me.
Maya: What kind of idiotic question is that?
Lucas: Come open the door.
Maya: It's always unlocked idiot.
Lucas: I need you to open the door.

*End Text Conversation*

I climbed through the window and made my way to the front door to open it. When I opened it he had a single red rose in his hand while smiling at me.

"What's this?" I asked pointing at the rose in his hand.

"Who's the idiot now?" He paused. "It's for you obviously."

I let him in and took the rose. I walked in the kitchen with it to grab a vase from the cabinet. I filled it with water and put the rose in it. I carried the vase to my room and put it on my night stand. I couldn't help, but smile. I felt his strong hands wrap around my waist as he kissed my cheek which made me blush like crazy. For the first time ever he's seeing me blush because of something he did. I normally hide it from him.

"Mmm, you're welcome." He smirked at me while he rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Hold that thought." I said as I broke out of his grip and went to my bedroom door to close and lock it. "Just in case." I smirked at him.

I walked back over to my bed and sat down. He followed and sat really close to me. It made me feel nervous, Lucas is the only person that has ever made me feel this way. I looked down at my hands out of nervousness. He could tell, he took his finger and lifted my chin up so I was looking directly at him. He didn't say anything, he just smiled at me, which made me smile right back at him. Just as the longing became unbearable, Lucas's lips met mine. The warmth of his mouth sent a current running through my body. I threw my arms around Lucas's neck as I lost myself in his peppermint breath and soft lips. He kissed me gently, carefully, but it wasn't gentleness I wanted, not now and I tugged on his shirt, pulling him harder against me. He groaned low in his throat, and his arms circled me, pulling me closer against him, and we rolled on to the pillows with him on top of me, still kissing. He pulled away to look at me. He had the biggest smile.

"Wow, Huckleberry." I said breathlessly. "You were really holding back all the other times we kissed."

"Someone's impressed." He smirked.

"Shut up, you're so annoying." I rolled my eyes at him.

The next kiss is the kind that steals my breath and gives it back. It shows me that every other kiss I've had in my life has been wrong. At first the kiss was small, gentle then grew bigger and rather intense at a rapid pace. I wrapped my legs around Lucas's waist, pulling myself closer to him. He groaned in a low husky voice. He traced his tongue on my bottom lip wanting access. Soon we were basically eating each other in that kiss, it made the kiss that much more intense. I gasped as his hot breath found the sweet spot on my neck. His gentle fingers made my skin prickle just by his softest touch. I quietly moaned out his name. 

We didn't want this to be how our first time together happened, being the day we just got together. There was a lot of withheld feelings for such a long time that we let it out in probably one of hottest make outs I ever had. He also has to work tomorrow and it's already rolling on 4am. He wrapped his arms around me and I snuggled right into him. I felt protected, like nothing could hurt me. I quickly and happily fell asleep in Lucas's arms.