Chapter 6: Tender Moments

Maya's POV

The one thing I love about my job is that it's right below my apartment and my friends are always there hanging out. So it's basically like we're never apart in a way. Everyone is hanging out on the sofa except Riley who isn't here yet. I got everyone's coffee ready for them and took it to them.

"Thanks Maya." They all said at once.

"No problem guys." I responded. "Have you guys seem Riley? It's odd she isn't here with you guys."

"I think she said she was going to take a shower and then grab the mail on the way down." Farkle replied as Riley walked in with the mail.

"Here's your mail Maya." She said as we walked away from everyone. I walked behind the counter as she sat at a chair at the counter.

"Oh look my mom sent me the monthly wedding announcements for inspiration." I said not taking my eyes off of it.

"This really isn't settling well with her is it?" She asked me showing concern.

"No, but she'll get over it eventually." I said coldly. "Wait a minute, there's a wedding announcement that Paul is getting married to Sophia.. my maid of honor." I whispered to her so the guys and Smackle didn't over hear our conversation.

"What? Let me see." She said as she took the brochure and scanned through it. "Well that's just cold and dirty." She said as my face went white.

"You okay Maya? You look like you're going to be sick." She asked.

"I'm good. I just can't believe they would do this to me. Well, Paul I believe because he's an ass, but she was my closest friend when I had to be away from you." I explained to her.

"Was he really that bad of a guy?" She questioned me.

"Would I have left him if he wasn't a bad guy? I couldn't be with someone who was an asshole like that."

"They won't all be like that, you just gotta give it time. He'll show up when you least expect it." She said and I knew deep down she was right, I didn't care about Paul, but the betrayal is what hurt me.

"Yeah, you're right. I love you Riles." I said as I gave her a hug over the counter.

"I love you, too. I forgot to ask, but how did laundry go with Lucas?" She asked.

"Laundry is laundry I guess, can't get anymore specific with it then that." I responded.

"No peaches, I meant was he an ass to you at all?"

"Oh, no actually. The whole time he was a gentleman. It was almost like the past Lucas came to visit." I explained to her.

"What did you guys talk about? Since I know you two didn't just sit there in silence, even if things are different now, that's not who you two are." She said.

"He talked to me about his ex and everything. It was the first heart to heart we've had since high school. It was nice. I don't expect conversations to always be like this with him though. It seems Texas Lucas has a strong hold on him now." I responded to her as I was staring at him talking to Farkle.

"I don't know. A lot of his anger has subsided for the most part since you've been back. People change people, remember?"

"How can I forget Riles. That life lesson is burned into my skull." I said sarcastically. "So how was the 'date'?" I asked her.

"It was interesting. I'll give it that. We broke that couple up in a heartbeat though." She replied.

"At least you found something productive to do." I responded before I started laughing.

"I'll be right back guys, I have to run to the bathroom." Lucas said as he got up from the sofa and walked into the bathroom. I walked over to the coffee table and started collecting all the dishes on it.

"Hey guys I gotta start closing up, so I gotta kick you out" I said.

"That's fine peaches, we'll see you when you get off." Riley said before she smiled at me.

Once they were all out I locked the door behind them, dimmed the lights and flipped the closed sign over on the door. I started sweeping the floor until I heard foot steps behind me, I completely forgot Lucas was in the bathroom until he spoke.

"How long was I in there?" He asked pointing behind him.

"Not long. I needed to close up so I had to kick them out."

"Oh, well, you need help?" He asked.

"Sure, thanks." I replied as I handed him the broom and sat on the sofa.

"Well, not what I had in mind, but okay." He said under his breath, but I still heard him. "So how are you?" He asked striking conversation.

"I'm okay." I said as I rested head on the back of the sofa.

"Wanna talk about it?" He asked as he came up behind me and massaged my shoulders a little bit to make me not as tense, which felt great.

"My mom sent her monthly wedding announcements to me and Paul is getting married again... to my maid of honor." I explained to him.

"Oh. That's awful."

"When did it get so complicated Lucas?"

"I'm not sure I know what you mean." He replied.

"Remember when we were in high school together? I mean, didn't you think you were just going to meet someone, fall in love and that'd be it?"

He didn't say anything, but I know he heard me. He pulled up a stool from the counter to sit down behind me and wrapped an arm in front of me and put his chin on my shoulder.

"Yeah, that was my way of thinking too. I used to think it would be so simple." He finally said breaking the silence. "But not everyone is Cory and Topanga and gets their happily ever after when they first meet someone. Sometimes it takes time and I know you'll find someone great because you deserve that." He explained to me which made me smile.

"Thank you Lucas." I replied.

"You're welcome."

After that little tender moment, we walked out and I locked up the store behind us and headed to join the rest of them upstairs in my apartment.