Chapter 3: You Have This One Life

Maya's POV

After Farkle and I talked, I decided to go back inside. I can't hide forever, I tried that once and it didn't work out to my advantage. You don't get to choose if you get second chances from the people you love, so I don't intend on wasting it. When I walked in it was just Riley and Smackle since everyone else left. Although Smackle was getting ready to go home when I got back in.

"It's good to have you back Maya." She turned to say to me with a genuine smile.

"Feels good to be back." I replied as she headed out the door.

I walked over to the couch and sat down next to Riley and placed my head on her shoulder.

"I don't know what to do Riles." I said quietly as she wrapped me in a hug.

"Lucas will come around, I promise." She replied.

"He was angry Riles, like real angry." I explained to her.

"He's been angry for awhile peaches. Once he realizes you're not going anywhere, he'll come around." She said. "Plus he knows you're going to be around so he will have to come to terms sooner rather then later."

"I didn't mean to hurt him this badly." I replied getting all teary eyed again.

"I know." She responded. "You know he overreacts without thinking. It's who he is."

"So do you know of anywhere that's hiring because I'll need a job." I asked her as we separated.

"The coffee shop downstairs is always looking for help. It's not the best job, but it's a start and something is better then nothing." She replied.

"I'll have to stop in there tomorrow and talk to them." I said. "Thank you for giving me a second chance."

"Of course Maya. Even after all this time apart you're still my best friend, that hasn't changed. So what made you change your mind suddenly about marrying the guy?" She asked me.

"Before the wedding I was standing there looking at all the presents from everyone and the decorations and I was more turned on by all these presents then I was by Paul. That's when it hit me that I couldn't do it, I only have this one life to live and I couldn't put myself in a situation to where I would be stuck in something I couldn't be happy in and I thought to the last time I was truly happy and that was when I was here with all of you. It was so easy to love you all and it was the hardest thing in the world to leave you." I explained to her.

"The sex was that bad huh?" She asked with a smirk on her face.

"Riles! Seriously! I can't with you right now." I responded in shock that Riley Matthews even said this, but at the same time I couldn't stop laughing. "Since when can you even say the word sex without getting all shy?"

"She knew it was time to grow up and not be so shy about topics that are apart of life."  She responded.

"Sooo are you saying...?" I asked her curiously.

"You would be correct." She replied.

"Are you seeing anyone right now?" I asked her.

"Not steadily, but I've been going on dates, seeing what's all out there, no one has sparked my interest enough to commit fully." She replied.

"What about the others?" I asked her.

"Farkle, Zay and Smackle are all just kinda doing the same thing." She responded.

"And Lucas?" I asked.

"Well, Lucas was actually married for a few years and then she turned out to be a lesbian." She said with a dead serious face.

"Oh my god. Who would have thought St. Huckleberry would end up marrying a lesbian, I literally cannot." I said and started dying of laughter. "Did he really not see any signs or?"

"It really wasn't til the end that we noticed it more and more, but he obviously was the last person to realize." She replied and that made me laugh even harder and she started laughing with me at this point. "I mean you would have thought after she denied him so much that he would have taken the hint that she was gay, but he was more focused on trying to make things work that he didn't even see it, it got kind of sad after awhile."

"Typically I would have speculated that if I got denied that much... this is why he's such a huckleberry." I replied and she started laughing again. "The things I missed out on, this brand new information has intrigued me. I feel bad for the guy, but it's just so funny."

"His life would have been hell on earth if you were here for that for sure." She responded.

"Well, I'm Maya, I don't just let things go when it's that good." I said as I chuckled a bit more. "Please tell me Smackle got some digs on him for that one, I'll be disappointed if she didn't."

"Of course she did. You know Smackle, she's the bluntest person in the world." She replied.

"Oh thank god. Someone had to do it while I was gone and I'm glad it was her because that's just to golden to not mess with him on that. This for sure made me feel ten times better." I said with a huge grin on my face.

"Somehow I figured it would and I don't think his bitterness is completely on you, I think he's just hurt from being left by people he cares about and it's made him bitter." She explained.

"Well, if your dad has thought us anything, it's that people change people, and maybe once he gives me a chance I can find the old Lucas and bring him back. He seems like he's changed the most and for the worst at the same time." I said.

"You're probably right. I'm happy you're back." She said as she looked at the clock. "Wow, I completely lost track of time, it's almost 11pm, I have to work tomorrow, will you be okay if I head to bed?" She asked.

"Of course, I'm aways okay, you know that. I'm just gonna watch a little tv and then go to bed myself." I replied.

"Okay, I love you Maya." She said as she gave me a hug.

"I love you too Riles."