Chapter 16: Secrets

Maya's POV

Lucas did as he said he would and came back over after his date. Everything was fine until she had to call him when she knew he was with us. They literally were talking for an hour and this is when I was starting to get annoyed. I could hear him explaining to her that he needed to get off the phone so he could spend time with us. He kept getting closer and closer to me as they were debating who should hang up first. I was trying to look at a magazine while he was all of an inch away from me.

"No, you hang up." Lucas said in the phone in a childish voice. "No, you" This could go on forever, I need to do something and I need to do it now. I took his phone out of his hand and hung up on the bitch.

"No, me." I said sarcastically as I threw his phone at him.

"What the hell was that for Maya? She's going to think I hung up on her." Lucas said to me in a serious tone. I closed the magazine I was reading and set it down. I leaned forward and looked at him in the eye.

"You were already debating who was hanging up first asshole. I'm sorry your friends wanting to spend a little bit of time with you tonight is such an inconvenience." I yelled at him and his expression went from annoyed to sad in the matter of seconds. I got up and went out on the balcony to get some air.

I walked over and put my hand on the ledge over seeing New York City. The lights at night have always been so beautiful. If nothing else this view is my safe place. After getting lost in thought I could feel a tear slipping down my cheek and I could feel someone behind me and I had a pretty good guess who it was.

"Maya?" I heard Lucas's voice say from behind me.

"What Lucas? Haven't we said enough to each other tonight?" I asked without turning around to look at him. I didn't want him to see me crying.

"I don't think there ever is enough talking to you. I was being an idiot and I'm sorry." Lucas apologized.

"Are you?" I retorted to him.

"Maya, what's going on with you, this isn't like you and I want to know why and I want to know now." Lucas said as he spun me around and our eyes locked. He saw just as he was looking at me that I had been crying.

"Seriously Maya, what's wrong? And don't say nothing because your tears are telling me otherwise." He said looking at me with concern all over his face.

"Nothing Lucas. I'm fine." I replied.

"No you're not. You haven't been yourself since before I left for my trip. You're like a completely different person lately, I don't understand and I want you to help me understand that." Lucas said bluntly.

"I'm just going through a thing and I missed you. I'm sorry for wanting to spend time with my best friend." I replied with more tears coming down. Lucas then pulled me into a hug, much like the one he gave me when we first saw the necklace in the window.

"Maya don't ever apologize for wanting to spend time with me. I missed you more then anything while I was gone. You have no idea how devastated I was that I had to miss your birthday." He said to me and it made me hug him tighter then I was before.

"I'm sorry for not answering any of your texts and calls while you were gone Huckleberry." I said quietly in his chest, but he heard me.

"It's okay, you're obviously are going through something and just need your friends." He said while rubbing my back.

"That's what you think it is?" I said as I lifted my head off Lucas's chest and looked at him.

"What else would it be?" He asked me.

"Nothing. You're right. I was just speaking hypothetically." I said as I laid my head back down on his chest. "I think I'm going to head to bed, it's been a long day and I just need to sleep it off."

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then." I said as she broke the hug and crawled through the window.

Lucas's POV

After spending some more time with Riley before she got tired. Farkle, Zay and I went across the hall to their apartment. We all cracked open a beer and started watching tv until Farkle muted the tv.

"Hey!" Zay and I yelled at the same time.

"No, this can't wait. I need to know about this. When did you spend the night with Maya?" Farkle asked me point blank.

"I didn't even mean for that to come out, can we drop it?" I groaned in reply.

"No, it's kinda important that we know." He replied to me.

"Lucas what were you thinking when you decided to stay the night with her? You already are in love with her, what good was that going to bring you?" Zay chimed in.

"... we almost kissed too." I said in defeat.

"What?" They both said at the same time.

"But we didn't. Who knows, maybe if we hadn't been interrupted by Riley things would be different right now, but you can't change the past. If Maya and I were meant to be then we would be together." I explained to them both.

"Lucas you don't just get over someone you've been in love with since 8th grade in a week, what are you doing?" Farkle asked me.

"I'm trying to get over Maya okay? Are you happy? I like Jess and she makes me happy-" I was saying before Farkle interrupted me.

"Not as happy as Maya makes you." He said to me.

"Farkle for fucks sakes let me finish." I yelled at him.

"You may proceed." Farkle replied while waving his hand for me to continue.

"Obviously no one can make me as happy as Maya can. When she was hugging me on the balcony I didn't want her to leave. She was so upset and I didn't see it." I responded.

"She's been upset since her birthday." Farkle told me. Which surprised me because Maya made it seem like she had a good day on her birthday.

"That makes sense now." I said out loud, but to myself. "When we were talking on the balcony she made a comment how if I was sure I knew what she was so upset about. She was trying to tell me and I didn't even catch it.

"Lucas you need to open your eyes man. She's been trying to tell you since the moment you walked through that door with your new girl." Zay added in.

"I'm only one person, she can't expect me to not spend time with my girlfriend, of course she's more important, but I can't be by her side every second now." I replied to them.

"Whatever you say Lucas." Farkle said as he got up to throw out his empty bottle. "I'm heading to bed."

Zay and I continued talking for the next hour until I decided to go home. I really don't understand what's going on with Maya at all.