Chapter 12: Maya's Birthday

Lucas's POV

I can't believe my job is making me fly out of state for business trip on my best friends birthday. I have to get over there and talk to Riley and Farkle before Maya wakes up. I rushed in the apartment to find Farkle watching tv on the couch and Riley cleaning the kitchen.

"Hey Lucas." Riley said to me with a smile.

"Hey.. where is she?" I asked her.

"She's taking a shower, she had to go in for a short shift today." She answered me. "What's wrong, you seem more strung out then you usually do?" Riley asked me.

"Maya's going to hate me, but I can't make her party tonight." I said in a quiet voice to her.

"Lucas I swear if you're bailing because you have a date, I swear to god." She replied to me as she crossed her arms across her chest.

"No, no. It's not like that Riley. I have to go out of state for a work trip. It's something I can't get out of, I was hoping she would have more time so I could talk to her, but I don't have the time for it to wait so I'm just going to have to go. Please tell her I said Happy Birthday and that I'll see her when I come home in a week." I said to her as my smile faded to a frown.

"Farkle I need you to do me a favor tonight." I said as I walked over to him at the couch.

"What's up?" He said as he sat up and saw I was serious.

"I need you to give this to Maya tonight when you guys give her your presents." I said as I grabbed a square box out of my coat pocket. "It's important to me that she gets it today Farkle, please don't forget."

"Don't worry, I'll make sure she gets it." He replied to me.

"Okay, good. And everyone else, I'll see you next week." I said as I headed out the door.

Maya's POV

-birthday party-

I found it entirely too strange that I haven't heard from Lucas all day. No text or calls. He's not answering any of mine. I was standing in my room looking at my dress in the mirror. I decided to throw my hair up in a pony tail. It was something quick and simple. When I walked out of my room everyone, but Lucas. Why? I sat on the couch away from everyone trying to remember if he said anything to me about not coming. Farkle saw me sitting here and came over to sit with me.

"You okay? It is your birthday, you can cry if you want to." Farkle said to me while he gave me a little nudge.

"Where's Lucas? He's the only one that's not here." I asked him.

"Oh, he had to go out of town for a work thing. He told us to tell you happy birthday and he'll see you when he gets back next week." He explained to me.

"Oh I wish I would have saw him today at least." I said to him with a frown.

"You two have really gotten close again haven't you?" He asked me.

"We have, just like old times, it's nice to have this type of friendship with him again." I said to him.

"Well, he also-" he started to say before he got cut off from riley saying it was time for me to open presents.

They mostly got me money, clothes and shoes. It was wonderful how helpful they were when they knew I couldn't exactly afford to go out and get new cloths for myself. Once the hype with that was over, Farkle came back over.

"Now what I was saying before Riley interrupted me. Lucas wanted me to give you this, he said it's your birthday present and it was important that you got it today." He explained to me as he hands me a wrapped little square box.

I took the box from him with a puzzled look on my face because I was honestly so confused to why Lucas couldn't give it to me when he got back from his trip. I unwrapped the wrapping paper and the box had a velvet type of look to it. When I open the box I literally gasped. I honestly was in shock.

"Oh my god." Is the only sentence I could manage to speak.

"What's up Maya?" Riley asked me, when I looked up everyone was kinda huddled around me.

"Lucas. He bought me the necklace that we saw in a window a few weeks ago at the mall, it's literally the same one that my mom used to wear. I can't believe he would do this for me." I said to them.

"I can." Farkle said.

"I mean it's also something Lucas would do for anyone." Zay chimed in.

"Don't you remember when Lucas first fell in love with his ex, that ridiculously expensive bracelet he bought her?" Farkle retorted to Zay then put his hand over his mouth.

"Excuse me, what?" I said looking directly at Farkle.

"Nothing. I didn't say anything."

"Farkle?" I said as I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt with our faces inches apart. "What do you mean by when 'Lucas first fell in love with his ex.' Are you saying what I think you're saying."

"You really didn't know?" He asked me as I let him go.

"No." I replied to him. "Who all knew about this?" I asked as I looked at all of them from my seat.

"I'm sorry peaches, but you're the only one who didn't know." Riley said to me.

"Oh my god." I said quietly.

"How do you feel about it Maya?" Riley asked me as she sat with me.

"I don't know how I feel. I never thought of him this way since middle school." I said to Riley. "All I know is I need to talk to him and I need to talk to him now."

"His flight got delayed 2 hours and he still has an hour left, maybe got to the airport and talk to him?" She replied.

"Yeah.. that's what I'll do. I need to go." I said as I ran to my room and put on my shoes. I grabbed my purse off the counter and the necklace.

I got a taxi right away and luckily the roads weren't too busy up until we were almost at the airport. After 15 minutes we got through and I ran as fast as I could to where Lucas would be. I saw people boarding and saw Lucas. I tried calling his name, but he didn't hear me.

"Ma'am if you don't have a ticket you have to stay back." The flight attendant said to me.

"Can you give that guy in the black jacket a message for me?" I asked her.

"Sure." She replied.

"Tell him I loved the birthday gift that he got me and I'll see him when he gets home. Oh my name is Maya by the way." I said to her.

"I'll deliver the message." She replied as she turned around to go find him.

I can't believe I missed him literally by a second. I'm still in shock over all this. I honestly didn't see it until everyone literally outted Lucas's feelings for me. This is literally going to have my head spinning for a week straight before he gets home.