Chapter 2: Denial

Farkle's POV

"How do you think it's going?" I asked everyone.

"Knowing, Maya and Lucas, probably not well." Zay chimed in. "I don't get why Lucas is so upset over Maya wanting to let herself grow by getting out of here all those years ago, I understood at first, but that was then and this is now. Why is he still upset?"

"I may know why." Riley responded.

"Are you gonna to tell us? Or are you gonna leave us hanging?" Zay asked.

"He loves her.. and I think he always has." Riley replied.

"What?!" Everyone said in unison apart from Riley and Smackle.

"Are you all living in a hole or.." Smackle said.

"Wait so you could see it too?" I said.

"Think about it, he always let her make fun of him in high school, she called him like 50 thousand names a day and he never got upset, but as soon as she leaves he gets angry, then when she comes back he gets angrier." Smackle explained to us. "And I don't think Maya understands that because she probably has no idea."

"I need to go talk to him." Zay said as he stood up.

"Yeah I'm coming with you." I jumped up and followed him out there door.

As we headed out of the complex we see Maya sitting on the step with her face buried in her hands. It appears she had been crying.

"Maya are you okay?" I asked her as I put my hand on her shoulder. "Zay, I'll meet you there, okay?"

"Yeah okay. See ya Maya."Zay said as Maya waved him off.

"Farkle I'm so sorry." She said as she looked up at me. "I never meant to hurt anyone."

"Remember in 8th grade when I said you would be a force to be reckoned with someday?" I asked her.

"Yes, I do." She said as she gave a slight chuckle.

"I hold that still to this day, I always believed in you. You chose you and that's the best thing you could have done for yourself at the time, don't beat yourself up over it." I replied.

"Thank you Farkle." She responded as she gave me a hug. "You haven't changed one bit, I admire that."

"Yeah, I noticed you have though." I said as gently as I could without her taking offense to it.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Well, first off, you called Lucas by his name instead of huckleberry." I explained to her so she understood.

"Well, I didn't want to start off like that since Riley already told me that he would be upset." She responded.

"Trust me Maya, he doesn't hate you, you just need to give him time." I said as I smiled at her.

"I've had a long day, I think I just need to go relax and not think about this." She said as she started to get up.

"That's okay, I have something I need to take care of anyway." I said to her. "Hey Maya?"