"What did it mean, 'Dumbledore's up to his old tricks again?'"

          Ron shrugged. "Beats me, mate. Look, that blonde boy is next. I hope he's Gryffindor, he seems like a good kid."

          "Grace, Jason," McGonagall announced in her thin voice, placing the Sorting Hat on the blonde boy's head. He wore gold-rimmed glasses. He also held a sort of heaviness that made him seem too old for his age.

          The Sorting Hat made a snorting sound. "GRYFFINDOR!"

          "Yes!" Ron shouted, standing up with the rest of the table and applauding. Once we sat down, the blonde boy came over and sat next to Ron, wearing an uneasy smile. "Hey, mate! Welcome to the best house!" Ron greeted the newcomer. "What's your name again?"

          "Um, Jason. Jason Grace." Jason craned his neck. "You'll have to explain this Sorting thing later to me, I have no idea what's going on. Oh, Percy's next!"

          "Jackson, Perseus," McGonagall said sternly. The black haired boy that Annabeth had looked at before walked up to the stool.

          "Ooh..." Hermione sighed, as did half of the girls. "He looks like a Greek god..."

          Jason stiffened almost unnoticeably.

          McGonagall placed the Sorting Hat on the boy's head. It started talking. "Hmm... this will be tricky... yes, very tricky... willing to learn, yes there's that..."

          The boy, Percy, looked at Annabeth hopefully.

          "... Loyal to friends, very loyal, almost to a fault... hardworking too, but also very brave... there's a lot of courage in you... but where to put you?" The hat bent over again, obviously thinking hard. "Hmm... SLYTHERIN!"

          Discontented mutterings filled the Great Hall as the Slytherin table cheered. The boy, Percy, seemed slightly confused, as though he wasn't sure what he was getting himself into. He looked longingly at the blonde girl before going over to the Slytherin table, sitting next to Draco Malfoy. I clenched my fist.

          Jason frowned, a scar on his lip turning white. "Is Slytherin bad?"

          "That's where most of the Dark Wizards come from!" Ron said, looking astounded that Jason hadn't known.

          "He and that blonde girl have some sort of relationship," Hermione muttered, glaring at the blonde girl who was happily chatting with Luna Lovegood and Cho Chang.

          "Maybe they're siblings?" I asked, starting to eat some bread.

          "Levesque, Hazel!"

          A small girl with brown curly hair and dark skin trotted up to Professor McGonagall, perching in the stool as the teacher placed the Sorting Hat on her head. She looked like a Hufflepuff.

          "GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouted, and my table stood up again to clap as Hazel ran over, waving at Jason.

          "It's good I'm with someone I know at least," Hazel sighed with relief, sitting between Jason and Ginny. "I've never seen a talking hat before though. I wonder if Annabeth's invis-" Jason nudged her with his shoulder, and she coughed embarrassedly. "I mean, never mind."

          'It sounded like she was going to say invisibility cloak!' Ron mouthed at me .

          Hermione leaned forward. "Hazel, how old are you? You look too young to be in our year."