T H I R T E E N • A small heart-to-pun

"Chat? Are you with me?"

Chat Noir blinked, hearing his lady's voice broke him away from his thoughts.

It's been four days since Marinette and Lucas's date and his mind seemed stuck on repeat. Little tidbits would creep into his mind and fester in there, reminding him of how... happy the two look together.

Sometimes Nino would tell him that he caught Adrien glaring at the other bespectacled boy and he could only mull over the fact in confusion as to why he did it in the first place.

Adrien would never admit it out loud but every time he remembered their date it left a bitter taste in his mouth.

"Chat?" Ladybug's concerned voice rang out and Chat realised that he once again zoned out.

"Sorry my lady. My thoughts are kinda all over the place this week." He put up his best charming smile in order to reassure her that he was attentive but Ladybug snorted, clearly showing that she didn't believe his excuse.

"Right all over the place. No wonder why I had to keep you from missing the ledge of buildings." Chat blinked again at her statement. He hadn't been focused enough to land on buildings perfectly? Dammit why couldn't Marinette and Lucas just get out of his head?! Why did his mind keep bringing up their date to surface?

He chuckled weakly and rubbed the back of his neck. "Is that so?" He cleared his throat and leaned on his baton in a casual manner.

"Really Chat how do you miss an opening that's about five metres wide?" She huffed cutely and planted herself on the edge of the building they stopped their patrol on. Ladybug beckoned Chat to the spot next to her and he eagerly responded, sitting beside her in a flash with a bright smile.

Oh god she started petting him?! Was this some kind of dream his brain whipped up after bothering him with recollections of Marinette and Lucas's date?

"So did you take my advice on your girl problem?" She asked cautiously. Chat mulled over it for a second before sheepishly laughing.

"Ehh, not exactly." Ladybug hummed, encouraging Chat to explain himself further. He sighed and leaned into Ladybug a bit more.

"I just don't really get it. We're friends but she doesn't talk to me like with anyone else. She's jittery around me but all of a sudden another person comes into the picture and she's way closer to them than me." He purposely used an ambiguous pronoun for Lucas since he didn't want Ladybug to assume he was still jealous like the last time they spoke.

It wasn't like he was lying either. Putting aside the uneasy and unidentifiable feelings he had towards Lucas, Adrien truly did wonder how Marinette reconnected so easily with a friend she hadn't seen in over seven years. It did vex him how she wasn't as easygoing around him as she was with everyone else.

Ladybug noticed the confused and frustrated expression forming on her partner's face and pushed herself against him in hopes of comforting him, still continuing her onslaught of pets which did seem to calm him down.

"You have been on edge this past week and it sounds like there's something you're leaving out." Ladybug continued her administrations to the underside of his chin and it felt like he was in heaven. If this was some kind of dream then Adrien would beg that it go on for as long as possible.

"Normally I would prefer to keep our personal lives private but I feel like venting as well. What's up?" Ladybug asked with a sweet smile.

[Light bulb moment]
Oh god, he couldn't say that. He shouldn't ruin the pleasant mood created between with what he was going to say. It's not worth it Adrien. Do not say-

"You want to know what's bugging me?"

Shit.

Damn his eternal love for puns! Chat knew smirking would make his situation worse but hell, that didn't stop him from producing the biggest shit eating smirk at his own pun.

Ladybug immediately stopped petting him and gave him an expression with pure disgust written all over it.

"I ask about your personal problems and this is how you repay me?" She said in a low deadpan voice that showed she was absolutely done with the punning cat however he only smirked wider at her distress.

"I'm sorry! I couldn't resist! If you want, I can tell you about my-" Chat's voice got more constrained as he struggled to keep himself from bursting in laughter. He managed to hold it in though, his smirk grew wider and his tail started flicking around in tune to his own excitement.

Ladybug caught onto what he was going to do and shove a threatening finger against his nose, fixing him with glare.

"Don't you dare." She seethed. Chat was unperturbed.

"Chat I swear to god, don't you dare finish that sent-"

"-purroblems now." His voice reached a high peak in utter delight and took satisfaction in Ladybug's disbelieving glare which quickly turned into immense annoyance.

"Chat-"

"Do you not find me utterly amewsing, my lady?" Her eye started to twitch and her bluebell eyes harden in apparent annoyance but Chat knew his bugaboo and he knew she couldn't really be mad whenever he started punning.

Which only meant more puns for her.

"You are absolutely incorrigible." She proclaimed and shoved a laughing Chat to the side and stood up, leaving him to finally burst out laughing, unrestrained cackles filling the air.

"Hahaahaa! S-sorry-pfft-my lady. I know-hahahaaa-my purrns aren't ver-pffft-humeowrous to mew!" His voice squeaked on the last pun and that was all it took for Chat to be rolling on the floor of the rooftop, laughing until he had tears in his eyes with the sound of Ladybug's frustrated groaning in the background.

"You know what? I'm not dealing with you right now. You obviously need a minute-" Chat could only laugh harder at Ladybug's accusation and raised his hand up.

"I DO! PFFT-HAHAHAAAHA"

"Mhmm, so I'm gonna start patrol now and you can catch up when you've stopped laughing." Ladybug leaned down and playfully booped Chat on the nose and swung away on her yoyo, off to do her part of their patrol.

His laughter finally died down after a few minutes, leaving him heaving and panting in catching his breath. He gathered his composure and started on his part of their patrols by activating his baton and vaulting away in the opposite direction from Ladybug.

His heart lighter than it had been all week. He loved the fact that his lady had that kind of effect on him. He let out a dreamy sigh.

Suddenly a thought came to him.

"W-wait! Did she say a pun?!"

[A.N: I was in the mood for some Ladynoir fluff since the only ships that have been in this fanfic are Adrienette, Marichat and a pinch of DJWIFI with a side dish of Luckybon

Also I wanted to make a fluffy chapter since next week I'm gonna be salty as fuck (thank you school) and I wouldn't want to contaminate my fanfics with salt]