Chapter Twenty-Two | Secluded

“No you can’t” I huffed, suddenly becoming teary.

“Why not?” he asked.

“Because I said so, you’re Majesty!” I screamed back.

I grab a hold of my bed post to keep myself from falling over my own two feet. I was still angry at him. Not as angry as before but still angry. I was mostly hurt with the way he talked to me at the dinner table. Why would you say such cruel and unkind things if you say you’re courting someone?

“Well I guess we’re going to have to talk with this door between us again.” Prince Brendan mumbled.

That’s right, you suffer.

“I’m not here to apologise.” He declared.

That’s not making things any easier for you. I whipped my head back and forth and questioned if I heard right.

“Excuse me?”

Prince Brendan responded, “You heard me.”

“Then don’t expect me to listen to what you have to say.”

“What makes you think I came here to tell you something.” He rudely countered.

Even with his stupidity, he’s confusing me. “Then why are you here?”

There was a moment of silence. A part of me thought that Prince Brendan had stormed of in a raging fit. Another part of me desperately hoped that he was still there on the other side of my door.

“You’re right; I did come here to say something to you.” He admitted.

A huge cloud over me vanished and I smiled. He was still here. But now that was out of the way, a part of me wanted to know what he wanted to say.

“You drive me crazy. Do you know that?” he suddenly told me.

I said in the calmest tone, “Nice start, you’re Majesty.”

“I’m sorry. But I’m trying to be honest here.”

Prince Brendan took a few more minutes. What on earth is he doing? I unclasped the pins holding my hair up and let my hair fall to my back. A felt a huge headache coming. And since I could not hear a word the Prince was saying, I walked to the door and sat down with my back to the door.

“I ask you the simplest questions and you get mad over them. What is wrong with me asking you questions?” Prince Brendan continues.

I rubbed the back on my neck, “I already told you. Being in my room, it helps-”

He cut me off, “Helps you, I know. But how am I supposed to court you if you won’t let me in?”

“I can’t just-”

“Honesty is the first chapter of this relationship, Lyra.” He miserably mumbled, “Please open up to me.”

The Prince had a point. And I rarely open myself to others. But if I tell Prince Brendan my certain problem, will he laugh at me? I was lost in my own thoughts. I didn’t know if telling him was the right thing to do.

“If I tell you the reason why, you cannot breathe a word of this to anyone.” I informed him.

“Alright.”

“You’re the second person I’ve told this to. Julian was the first.” I slipped in, before Prince Brendan asked another twenty questions.

Prince Brendan answered on the other side, “Alright.”

“On the night of the ball Julian and I got into an argument and he asked the same questions you asked earlier. You can predict what happen next, I got in frenzy.” I took another deep breathe before I could say anything else. “I’m not like other girls. You can see that I am far from that. I am the only living daughter of the Demori family. There has been no one else. It’s just me. Before me, there’s Julian and the boys and Uncle Eugene and Father and so one and so forth. But I am the only female.”