Chapter Five | Disappointment

ITS MY BIRTHDAY TODAY! So I thought it would be nice of me to update for you lovely readers!!!

==========================================================

He still hated me. And after all these years… Well I suppose I couldn’t blame him since I nearly killed him when I was young and I did say that I still hated him as well. It was already two weeks into my stay and praying to God wasn’t exactly helping my cause.

And as much as I didn’t want to say it, Prince Brendan was right. I was given a maid. Her name, Jean and she was only two years younger than me, for her age, she was very competent and she knew when and when not to do something…though she was very shy. Not one squeak came out of her mouth. She would only respond to me with a nod or a small curtsy.

“Jean?” I earnestly called out.

She look to me and waited for my order. “It’s nothing…I just want to talk to you.”

Now thinking about it, I always happened to find myself wanting to talk to servants and maids more often than I imagine. Well…what was I supposed to do? I had no one else to talk to. And I haven’t heard from Father or Mamma.

“I don’t think you’re supposed to, Miss Demori.” She said quietly.

“It’s okay…it’s just us.” I insisted, I motioned the seat next to me. “Have a seat. Would you like something to eat?”

I gesture towards the tray of small sandwiches. I wasn’t one to eat bread in the morning and I hated the thought of wasted food. Mamma would always say that food was the one thing the peasants in Kalkaska.

“Please take some, Jean. I’m not going to finish this.” I begged. I wanted her to feel comfortable, and I was almost desperate for a friend.

“Thank you, Miss.” She whispered as she ran to the tray.

Jean devoured the tray. And as I watched her eating to her hearts content, I began to wonder, why wasn’t the Royal Family feeding their staff properly? No…they were the Royal Family had plenty to come around. Maybe she was being pressured into giving her food to another servant.

I coughed, “Jean?”

She looked towards me and bowed her head, “Yes, Miss?”

“Do you get fed? Do you get fed properly?” I interrogated with the deepest indication of worry.

Her face was blank, no hint of emotion was being shown. She stammered, and while rubbing her sweating hands on her apron, Jean avoided eye contact with me.

“You can tell me, you know. I won’t be mad.” That was a complete lie. If someone, as sweet and kind as Jean wasn’t getting fed properly, I would create hell.

Jean frowned deeply, “I’m sorry Miss…I can’t. May I be excused? I have other matters I must attend to.”

“Jean…” I pressed. Delaying the answer wouldn’t help her. It would only make me want to know even more.

“Please don’t make me, Miss. Can I tell you when I’m ready?”

I felt more down rather than disappointed. I just want to talk…but I guess she was afraid to getting caught or being punished for conversing to a highborn. I nodded and smiled, “You may be excused.”

Maybe I was coming off…forceful. She’ll tell me when she’s ready right? Yes…I’ll take my chance. Who knows when she’ll be ready to come and talk to me? As I glanced at the weather outside, I opened the shutter windows to let the spring wind in. The scent of roses and freshly