(Pt II) Chapter Thirteen | Ball

So I have finished Year 11. OMG! Now I'm on a two week holiday! YAY! I'm not actually registering the fact that I'm in Year 12 now....hmmmm

I've decided that this particular chapter will be long...so there will be four parts. Holiday special! Well, shall we continue on with Part Two of Chapter 13? 

==========================================================

“I’ll do it.” I finally said after a long time of deliberation.

Mamma shot her hopeful eyes to me, “You will?”

“Yes. But by god Mamma, if you do this again…I might just do something that will make you lose face. I promise you that.”

Mamma’s smile said had it all. Her smile stretched out from ear to ear. Jumping up and down like she was back to her youthful days she wrapped her arms around me once again and told me to get myself ready. And Ella will accompany me soon. Fantastic…sister in-law will be in my room.

“How are you enjoying it here?” Ella asked me while brushing out my hair.

Should I open up to her? I hardly know Ella and I’m not the type of person to open up to a stranger straight away. She was married to Julian. And if she made him happy then I must be happy for him. Right?

“It’s okay here. I mean, I’ve only been out once or twice but most of the time I’m here. In my room.” I confessed.

Ella frowned, “Is there something wrong with the Palace?”

“There isn’t anything wrong. It’s just that, I like being by myself. I like being in the quiet.” I justified.

Ella gave me a sympathetic look. She shook her head and began to plait my hair into a simple French braid. What was she thinking? Is she secretly judging me like all the other girls? Before I let her think any further I opened my mouth again.

“There’s nothing wrong with me, I assure you. It’s just that my family is full of boys and I’ve never talked to any other girls my age. So I like being be myself.”

As I began applying the rest of my makeup, Ella sat on my bed and gazed at me. I thought back to Mamma’s smiling face. She must be happy with her progress; in marrying me off.

“Can I be completely honest with you?” I looked to Ella turning my body around to face her.

“Yes you can.”

“At first, when I heard of Julian getting married…I was angry. Not because he was leaving me but because of you. I felt threatened. I still do.” I sighed, “I hope you know that I don’t mean to be rude. But it’s this wall that I’ve put up.”

She shook her head, “You don’t need to explain, Lyra. I understand where you’re coming from.”

“You do?”

“I used to be like that when my Father married my stepmother, so I understand where you’re coming from. I just hope that from now on you can look to me as your big sister. I want to get along with you. You seem…lonely.”

“Believe me…I’m used to it.”

“But you must be seeking for something. Something to hold onto. Someone?” Ella hinted.

I placed the brushed aside and got up from my seat the instant Ella hinted companionship. Did Mamma tell her to say that to me? And after we connected as if we were actual siblings?  Do not react, Lyra.