(Pt IV) Chapter Thirteen | Ball

The Prince groaned in pain, “Ahh!”

As James and Marcus were trying their best to hold Prince Brendan back, Sebastian and Alex rushed to the Princes’ side and examined the situation. I couldn’t exactly hear or see what was going on since the Ladies had already created a deep circle around the two boys.

But soon after James and Marcus unhanded the Prince, Daniel took another swing at the Prince, this time cutting Prince Brendan’s lip and loosening the Princes’ mask, revealing half of his face.

“You’re Majesty?” Daniel said in pure and utter shock.

Prince pulled the mask off and roared, “You imprudent feign!”

Daniel, shaking like a twig, dropped down on both of his knees. “Forgive me! I did not know it was you.”

“You did not know!” the Prince repeated, almost sounding like a lunatic.

Prince Brendan raised his fist in readiness and ordered Daniel to kiss his feet. The upheaval was beginning to capture the King and Queens attention. Even Mamma and Father. I turned to Julian and gave him a look.

“Julian, take Daniel away.” I begged.

“I’m on it.” Julian answered seconds after.

I went on my toes to see if I could spot Lady Sylvia, she knew what the commotion was about but she was too preoccupied being in another man’s arms. This girl is too much. Does the Prince know that?  I ignored the fact that she wasn’t going to Prince Brendan’s aid.

Pushing my way through the gasping and swooning Ladies, I reached Prince Brendan and gave him a harsh look. Blood was staining his beautifully crafted coat and he didn’t care about how he looked to the public’s eye. This is going to end badly, I just know it.

 “What are you doing?” the Prince bickered, trying to push me aside.

“Put that hand down, you pompous buffoon.”

The Prince glared at me, “How dare you order-”

“Contract, remember? You listen to me and save the embarrassment of facing these people or you wallow in self-pity later on in the night.” I said, giving him pretty good options.

The Prince groaned as he unclenched his fist, he quickly looked at the people surrounding him. I knew what I was talking about. He knew I was right. So there was no point in trying to argue with me. Idiot, do the right thing.

Sebastian and Marcus waved their hands in the air and fanned the Ladies away.

“Go on, Ladies.” Marcus cooed.

“Yes, there’s nothing to see here.” Sebastian called after.

James joined in, “Go back to the lovely music and dancing.”

I took Prince Brendan by the wrist and led him out of the ballroom and up into my bedroom. An important person like the Prince shouldn’t lose his temper so easily. There was nothing much to do but to clean up his scars. I look to Jean who was clearly still petrified of Prince Brendan.

“Jean, can you go get a basin of cold water and a linen cloth. Please?”

Jean bowed her head and swiftly scurried out of the room. I turned back to the Prince who was rolling his eyes at me. Well, excuse me if I don’t want you to lose face.

He huffed out a sigh in anger, “I would not have embarrassed myself. I am the Crown Prince of Kalkaska and-”

“The first Son. I know.” I concluded as I crossed my arms. “Now…who provoked who?”