neighbors

Scott was only six years old, and he already had bruises and scars littering his body. His parents were abusive, beating him every day if he made the slightest mistake. However, luckily, the police managed to find out and had both of them arrested. Scott had no living relatives, so he was forced to move in with the Hoyings.

Connie and Rick Hoying were a nice young couple. They loved kids, but unfortunately were unable to have any of their own, so they were happy to take Scott in.

The day Scott was supposed to meet his new family was quite terrifying for him. The police officer that had been assigned to taking care of him until they could find him a proper home dressed him and handed him his teddy bear that he had bought for him. "Okay, Scotty. You're going to meet your new family today," he said with a gentle smile, coaxing Scott into the police car. Scott just held the teddy bear tightly to his chest as though it could protect him and focused on not trembling. The rules his biological parents had given him swirled around in his brain, a never-ending mantra of darkness. He wondered if he was going to have to follow those rules at his new home too, or if Mr. Hoying liked to play big boy games like his biological father.

The officer, a man named Carl Green, soon came to a stop in front of the Hoying residence. "We're here, Scott," he said with another smile, not wanting to scare the boy. Scott just nodded and climbed out of the car, but his mother's voice yelled at him for not giving a verbal answer and he flinched as though he'd been struck. "I'm sorry, sir," he whispered to Officer Green once he'd gotten out of the car, his head bowed. Officer Green sighed and gently tilted Scott's head up so he could meet the boy's melancholy blue eyes. "Scott, we've been over this. Your parents were horrible, sick people, undeserving of a boy like you. Their rules do not apply anymore. You're safe."

Scott was confused. His parents were sick? As mean as they were, he didn't want them to die. "Th-They're sick? Are- Are they going to die?"

Officer Green just smiled sadly and shook his head, gently taking Scott's small hand and leading him up to the door. "Sick means twisted and evil. Your parents are bad people," he said as he knocked on the door. Scott had a million other questions, but he didn't dare ask them, not wanting to be punished.

It was mere seconds before Mrs. Hoying opened the door. She smiled widely down at the small boy holding the hand of the police officer and crouched down to his height, and Scott shrink away. "Hi, honey. I'm your new momma," Connie said gently, holding her hand out to him. Scott hesitated a moment before he glanced up at Officer Green. He nodded slightly with a small smile, and Scott tentatively let go of his hand to take Connie's. Connie smiled, blinking back the tears forming in her eyes. "Oh, he's perfect," she breathed. "Thank you so much, Officer." Officer Green just smiled and inclined his head. "It's my duty. Here's his backpack, all of his belongings are in there. I'll come back to check on him every few weeks," he said, and Connie nodded as she gently pulled Scott inside. "Thank you again," she said with a smile. Officer Green smiled and turned to go, but Scott's small voice stopped him.

"Wh-Where are you going?"

Officer Green's heart melted and he turned back around, crouching down to Scott's height. "Remember what I told you in the car, Scotty? These people are your new mommy and daddy. They are very, very nice and I think you'll love them very much, but I have to go back to work. I'll come back and visit you as much as I can, okay?" Scott nodded and squeezed his teddy bear tighter. "Okay," he whispered. Officer Green smiled at him and pressed a gentle kiss to his forehead, then turned once more and walked back to his car.

Scott didn't move, though he watched the car as it pulled out of the driveway and down the road. Connie allowed him to, but she closed the door as soon as the car was out of sight and squeezed Scott's hand to get his attention. Scott obediently looked up at her, tilting his head. "Are you hungry?" Connie asked with a smile, leading him into the kitchen. "No, ma'am," Scott answered quietly, even though he was. His parents always said he wasn't allowed to eat if they had to pay for the food. Connie's smile dropped at the name and she shook her head, once again crouching down to Scott's height. "Now, now, none of that. I'm Momma, okay? Mom, Momma, Mommy, whatever. Just please don't call me ma'am." Scott's heartbeat picked up and he scolded himself in his head. You already broke a rule and you haven't been there for five minutes. "Yes, m- Momma. I'm s-sorry," he said quieter, but Connie shook her head again and kissed him on the forehead. "Are you hungry?"