#6

I wake up with small hands gently shaking me back and forth. I open my eyes and see Blaze.
"What are you doing here still?"
"I had a sleepover, what time is it?"
"6am."
"Jeez, why are you conscious?" I ask quietly.
"I have to get ready for school, usually daddy helps but I wanted to ask why you were still here," she whispers with the most adorable quiet giggle. I smile at her and turn over, Grillby. His toned chest rising and falling with every soft deep breath he takes.
"Come on," I whisper as I slowly and carefully get out of the king sized bed. "I'll help you get ready," she laughs and takes my hand, practically dragging me to her room. We go to her little dresser. "Does your school have a uniform?"
"Nope, but it mustn't be inappropriate," she says. "Whatever that means," she puts a finger on her chin.
"It means it must be ok for everyone to see, that no one will be offended by it."
"Oh!" She giggles. Man this kid is so cute! I pick up two shirts, one is blue with a pink butterfly, the other is orange with a red star.
"Which one is cuter?"
"This one!" She points to the blue one. I nod in agreement.
"Then we need some blue pants," I find a pair and we slip them on. She looks really cute.
"My hair next!" I eye her flaming head with caution.
"Is that a good idea for me?"
"Just try," she sits cross legged and turns away from me. I take a deep breath and run my fingers through her hair, it's really warm, but not like burning. I grab the hairbrush and a pink elastic. I brush her hair softly until all the tangles come out with no fuss and put her hair back in a pretty little ponytail.
"There, all done," I say.
"Thank you!" She claps a little, this kid gives me life.
"No problem sweetie, how do you get to school?"
"Miss toriel picks me up at seven thirty," she says.
"Alright, do you need a lunch?" She nods at me with a smile.
"Then get all your stuff done and I'll make you one," I smile. She hops to the bathroom and brushes her teeth.
"Wow, how did you do my hair like that?"
"Well my hair was long once, so I have experience," I shrug scratching the back of my neck.
"Really? As long as mine?"
"Mine was longer than yours," I whisper in her ear. "It used to go down to my butt," she giggles. We finish getting her ready and I check my phone, is seven o'clock. We grab her stuff and head down to the restaurant.
"Why don't you wake your dad up?" I ask, realizing I don't know what the hell to put in a school lunch. She hands me her bag and runs upstairs, I put it down on the bar top and start putting the chairs down. Soon Grillby walks down in just his dress pants and a plain t-shirt. I look away to keep from blushing at him. He heads into the kitchen and puts her lunch together with ease. I sing to myself and finish putting the chairs down.
"So you got Blaze ready for school today," I turn to see Grillby raising his brows at me. I just shrugged.
"I like kids, and you looked so peaceful asleep."
"Toriel is here! Bye daddy! Bye Tesla!" Blaze waved and hurried outside, me and Grillby watched her from the window as she ran out to miss Toriels car.
"Why didn't you wake me?" Grillby asked not breaking his gaze from the window.
"I guess," I think about it. "I'm just trying to be the person i needed growing up," he looks away from me as the car pulls away.
"What do you mean?"
"When I was four I was dropped at an orphanage. It wasn't until I was nine that I was adopted, but after a year the couple had their own kid and, suddenly they didn't want me anymore and sent me back."
Grillby looked at me with sympathy.
"I lived at the orphanage until I turned eighteen, then I got my choice to leave. I got to see my file too, the papers that my parents signed to give me up. The people who gave birth to me didn't even want me, I had no one. So I guess now I try to be there for whoever needs me."