22: What has to be done

*Lashontae Heckard

The next morning

Keeping her word London called me asking if we could meet at Cafe Orlin, and of course I agreed.

Making my bed then grabbing my phone, hotel key, and jacket I made my way to Brittany’s car. I’m mad thankful for her. Out of all my friends she’s the only one that has been here for me. Unlike most people she also is the only person that knows the depth of Chris and I relationship.

“Thank you boo for driving me around.” I said once we were in the car

“No problem girl. I know you going through a lot and I just wanna be there.” She said taking off

Through out the car ride I was able to do some thinking of how to approach this situation. I would really love to just get my daughter and leave peacefully but judging by the way Chris just reacted by me showing up I know that’s not gonna happen. I would never just take Mimi from him or London for that fact. I know they love her...and they can give her things I can’t at this time, but I have just as much of a right to her then either one of them do. I am her mother. I just don’t want to hurt Chris and I know by doing this...this is hurting him. I can still remember him holding her for the first time, the smile he had on his face was still fresh in my mind.

(Flashback)

I was done. I was done with Chris for good. I could no longer allow him to keep treating me like this. I know we aren’t together but damn, you would think he would treat me like I at least mean something to him.

Chris and I been talking for a while and he still choose to be with London. I didn’t understand what she had that I didn’t. After a few short months of seeing them talking at the mall and BOOM she’s his girl, while I’ve been waiting for that spot. Now I have a baby by a man that could care less about me. A hard knock on my new apartment door broke me from my train of thought. Springing to my feet I made a beeline to the door swinging it open to see Chris blank face.

“Wassup.” He mumbled leaning against the frame of the door.

“Hey come in.” I said moving to the side

I was gonna give him one last chance and that was it. I want him in my childs life just as much as I want him in mine.

“Where she at?” He asked

I looked at him and he looked horrible. He looked like he haven’t slept in days. It pained me because I love him. He’s the father of my child and my love.

“Are you okay?” I asked avoiding his question

He nodded his head not saying a word.

“You sure?” I asked again

“Yeah...just overwhelmed.” He took a deep breath

“Well I’m here.” I said I just couldn’t let this man go. Even though he has a girl there will always be a connection.

He nodded again but this time there were a little smile on his face. “I wanna see my daughter.” He said. It was his first time seeing her.

“Okay.” I said pulling him up and into her room where she slept in her crib.

He stood over her tiny body with the proudest smile on his face. “Yo that’s me?” He asked in shock making me giggle. I felt good. I know London could never give him something that I gave him and that’s his first born. I know she’s gonna be crushed when we go back to school and she find out that he has a baby by me. But whatever.

“Yeah that’s you. She looks just like you.” I smiled at him picking her up and placing her in his arms. The sight was so beautiful.

“She has a head full of hair too.” He gushed of her