21: Where I'm coming from

*Lashontae Heckard

“Nerve? Me? Christopher that’s my child!” I stressed to him.

“That you haven’t seen in almost two years.” He yelled back

“What are you trying to say?” I asked taking a step back with hurt in my vision. I would have never thought Chris would be saying this to me. I thought we both had a clear understanding that I was indeed coming back.

“A call or text would have been nice.” He said leaning against the door.

I simply nodded my head because I could understand that. London came back with the same expression painted on her face but soften once she laid eyes on me.

But my eyes fell to her hand that laid on her stomach. She was pregnant. Closing my eyes because of the sudden rush of emotions that came over me. I had to get myself together.

“Come in Tae it’s cold outside.” She said quickly and she ain’t never lied. Stepping into their warm foyer I took my coat off handing to it London who had her hand out waiting on me.

“Let’s go in the living room and talk.” She said because her husband didn’t have nothing to say whatsoever, but to just stare at me.

Following behind her short frame we sat in the huge living room where their white Christmas tree still stood and Christmas presents chad on the floor of the home.

“So...you’re here to see Mariah?” London asked after a moment of silence

“Yeah. I think I’m better enough to get her.” I said running a hand through my hair. My hair was starting to come in and I was praising the lord.

“Come get here...what you mean?” Chris finally spoke up

“Take her home.” I said

“And where is home?” He snapped. Softly putting her hand on his knee and just like that he calmed down.

“I live in Atlanta now.” I said

“Hell no. Hell naw she ain’t going to Atlanta.” He said. He was red in the face and the vain in his neck was popping out.

“Chris baby calm down. Can you go get us something to drink?” She asked but I wasn’t stupid. That was code for get out.

He looked at her and she stood her ground “Gone head.” She mumbled and he stood up walking past me without forgetting to mug me on his way out.

“Im sorry for that...he’s a little...upset.” She chuckled nervously

“A little?” I asked with an eyebrow raised

“You gotta understand where he’s coming from because I understand where you’re coming from loud and clear.” She said. She didn’t know any where I was coming from. Not even close.

“Of course you don’t.” I said not trying to sound rude.

“But I do. My ex-fiancee wants to see my son and Morgan and just like how I’m Mariah’s stepmom Chris is King’s stepdad and I have to take into consideration Chris’s feelings. I’m not asking you to spare my feeling because you don’t owe me anything, but I do ask that you take in Chris’s feelings...he loves her just as much as any of us.” She said and for the first in a long time I didn’t just view her as Chris’s choice but I seen her as a woman that went through similar stuff just like me.

“How long you in town for?” She asked

“Two weeks.” I mumbled

“How about we do lunch tomorrow? You and everyone that way you can see Mariah and we can see what we’re gonna do from there.” She said

It’s funny how all the times I ruined her and Chris relationship and been rude to her and she’s still being nice to me. Funny how the world works.

“That would be nice.” I nodded my head

“Alright. I’ll call you in the morning.” She smiled at little

“Thank you.” I found myself saying before standing up

“No problem. Sometimes we all need help.” She said lowly walking me to the door before grabbing my coat for me.

“Tell Chris I said goodbye?” I asked

“Will do love.” She said opening the door watching me get in the car before shutting it.

“What happened?” Brittany asked

“I don’t know.” I said looking out of the window.

*London

All types of emotions were running through my body right now. I didn’t know how to feel.

Heading to the kitchen I seen Chris staring off into space.

“You ok?” I asked

“Man how she just gone show up talking bout she want Riah she sick in the head.” He ranted and raved.

I knew how he felt...I knew how both of them felt. I couldn’t get too involved just for the simple fact that it’s not my place. I have to stay in my lane. And that my dear isn’t my lane...but if he needed support then I was most definitely here.

“I know babe, but you gotta think about the tough situation she was recently in.” I said walking up to him

“I mean I understand that. I ain’t mad that she wanna see Riah, I think it’s great she need it...but taking her from me? When she gave her to me, I ain’t know what to do and now that she’s good and happy she come out of no where and take her? Without so much of a phone call or a tex? This can’t be life.” He said hanging his head low.

I felt bad beyond belief. I was far too emotional.

“Baby you’re a great father and everything will work out. Just stay prayed up.” I leaned up to kiss his lips before resting my forehead against his.

******

Sadtopher is in the sidebar (thingy)