26 - Don't Trust The Trusting

Percy's POV

One hour. One hour, and I was already freaking out.
Now, pacing back and forth down the hallway may not exactly be the most productive way of helping out- but honestly- what else could I do?

"Annabeth?" I uttered as the guest room's door squeaked open.
"No, it's Will." I heard Will respond.
I abruptly stopped, quickly turning to face him.
"Oh, err, sorry." I said, pulling my hand through my messy hair.
"No problemo," he paused hesitantly, then said, "I was wondering if you could... I don't know, give me some advice...?"
I blinked. Was Will Solace, the most social and smart person I knew- besides Annabeth- asking me for advice?
Wow. Just... wow.
"Me?" I voiced my thoughts.
He nodded undecidedly.
"Okay so," he began, "I- um... I don't know how much you know about me and Nico, but I can assure you we're not a... a thing- yet, anyway. Okay, what I'm actually trying to say is, how'd you tell Annabeth you... like her?" He cringed at his own words, looking quite regretful for speaking.
I laughed easily.

"Well, first off, I didn't really tell her. It just sort of... happened. Second, both of you have to like each other and believe me, Nico definitely likes you."

Will smiled brightly.
"You really think so?"
"Yup."
He smiled again, and I returned it.
"I guess that's all." He said, stepping awkwardly to the door.
"Okay, and hey- give me an update on how it goes."
He nodded ecstatically and finally walked out, closing the door gently.

It didn't stay closed for long though, as Annabeth came in.
"Hey Wise Girl." I said, pulling her close to me, hugging her tightly.
I pressed my head into her shoulder, her hair falling onto my face.
She smelled of freshly sliced lemons.
I'd never known I enjoyed the smell of lemons till my first official hug with her. Hmm.

"Annie." I whispered, refusing to let her go.
"Hmm?" She answered, laughing lightly at me.
"I love you." I said.
"I'm in love with you, Percy." She answered me. I thought I detected a twinge of sadness, so I hugged her tighter.

"What are we going to do about Sally?" She said before I could confront her about it.
"I don't know, I was going to ask you the same thing."
"Oh."
"Yeah."
I pulled away, staring into her stormy eyes, unmoving.
She'd been through so much... if I'd been through the same I wouldn't have been as strong as her. I was sure of it.

And if there was one thing I knew, it was that I loved her.

"Annie. Why, um... why do you sound sad when we talk?"
I finally asked her.
Annabeth studied me sadly.
"I don't. I'm just... I guess I'm just tired after everything that's happened."
I nodded, not quite believing her.
"Yeah, well, it's not the end yet. We've got to keep fighting."
She nodded absentmindedly.
I sighed, flopping down on the bed, Annabeth following my example.

As I stared at the phone Annabeth intertwined my hand in hers.
"It's going to ring, Percy. Don't worry so much. Your mom is a strong woman. She can do it. I know she can."
I nodded.

And so the phone did in fact ring.
   "Mom!" I shouted with anticipation.
   "Percy. Listen- Gabe's out for the moment. I'll get everything ready, but I don't think I can wait till tomorrow. Can you drive here within the hour?"
Without hesitation I said, "Yes."

As promised, I sat silently in the car outside of my- Gabe's apartment.
Annabeth sat in the back, staring outside the window, onlooking the passing cars.

Once again, my phone rang.
   "H-hello? Mom?"
A moment of silence seemed to plunge me into the thoughts of worst case scenarios.
I gulped.
   "It didn't work."
And with that, the line went dead.

I hate this please kill meh now.
Thanks! Merci! Tack!