22 - (Don't) Do it

Percy's POV

I stepped out of the taxi, helping my mom out as I went.
She smiled sadly at me as she took my hand. It seemed that she couldn't quite comprehend that I was really... here.
Annabeths words raced through my head from when I'd called her, causing me to intake a sharp breath.

It's not your fault. Don't beat yourself up...

   "Listen, mom."
I pulled her away slightly from the cafe Annabeth claimed to be waiting in.
   "I know I've said it like a million times, but I'm so, so sorry that I... that I abandoned you. Even if it hadn't been for Gabe, I shouldn't have left. I swear I wouldn't have had it not been for Annabeth. She's... she's broken mom."
I mumbled. She smiled sadly again, but I saw her lips try to carve down into a frown.
   "Mom what I did was terrible. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I-"
   "Percy. It's okay. I understand. Your intentions weren't meant to be taken badly. I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have called you. I should have let you find your way back home by yourself. You- Annabeth needed time." She looked down, trying to hide the tears pricking her eyes.
I took her arm in my hand, seeing her flinch.
I frowned, pulling the sleeve up slightly, revealing a blueish bruise outlining her skin. Suddenly the color blue didn't seem as enticing as it had to me a moment before.
I gawked at it, feeling tears rising to my swollen eyes.
   "M-mom..." I whispered, barely audible. She pulled her arm away from me, and I couldn't help but feel a little hurt.
She kept staring at the ground. My mother- the strong, independent woman I'd grown up to love, looking so lost. Looking like she didn't know what to do next when she'd always written the rules herself.
And now her mind had gone blank.

    "I didn't want to bring you home to this, I really didn't. But Gabe-"
    "I understand. You don't have to explain-"
    "No, I do!" She shouted, leaving me staring at her sudden outburst.
I'd always admired her for her strong character. And now that character was crumbling- right before my eyes.
   "Gabe... he- he was some sort of... of protection from the government or- or- I don't know Percy!" She sagged against me, sobbing into my shoulder.
I glared at anyone passing whom happened to stare.

Most people have placed to be and deadlines to meet, but one girl- perhaps fifteen years old- stepped forward to me, smiling shyly as she diverted her eyes from mine and instead looked sympathetically at my mother.

The first thing I noticed was her clothes. All quite dark colors, which seemed to compensate for her golden hair.
Her eyes reminded me of the color of denim jeans, the blue slightly darker in some areas and lighter in others.
Her eyes were puffy and red like mine making her look like she'd been crying.
Her hair was a mess, only held down by a black, woolen hat of some sort.

She was a stranger to me, and still she looked so sympathetic that I felt like I must know her from somewhere.

   "Uh... hi?" I said, confused.
   "Hi- sorry. I'm Maya. Can... can I help?" She asked quietly.
   "Um, I think we can manage." My mom stood next to me looking quite unsure, no longer leaning against me.
    "Thanks Maya. But... do I know you from somewhere? Never mind. Stupid question." I shook my head, only earning me a sideways smile.

Maya stared at me for a second longer, then said, "You don't know me, but I think I know you. You're Percy Jackson, right?" She said calmly enough.
I narrowed my eyes as I observed her carefully.
   "How...?" I asked, completely stumped whilst draping a protective arm around my mom. She laughed, but I heard a twinge of sadness well hidden in it, making me feel instantly guilty. Did I say something?
    "Your YouTube channel. PJO, right?"
I stared at her, wide eyed.
    "How...?" I repeated, seeing my mom look at me deceptively out of the corner of my eye.
The girl Maya laughed again.
   "You literally just hit a million subscribers and you don't think anyone's going to recognize you?"
When she saw my dumbfounded expression she rolled her eyes.

   "If your not Percy, you could just say it." I shook my head at her words.
    "No, no, I am but I haven't been on that channel for months! There's no way.... oh my God."
I said as she flashed me her phone screen, quickly revealing my channel with the videos of stupid stunts I'd pulled in the past, mostly by myself.

   "How could anyone find that interesting?" I wondered aloud.
Maya face palmed.
   "How can the creator of something ask how it's interesting?" She retorted,
I glanced at my mom, who seemed just as lost as I was.
My mom then nudged me, saying,
   "You should invite her for coffee." She said simply.
I furrowed my eyebrows, then looked back at a shocked Maya.
   "Oh no I couldn't possibly-"
    "It's no trouble." I answered.
I smiled as I turned the corner to the cafe, which was literally five meters away from where we'd been standing.

   "Here?" She asked as we stepped into the cafe.
    "Yup." I said, already scanning the crowd for Annabeth.
I spotted her in the far corner of the room dotted with tables and chairs, but she wasn't alone.

Our old family friend, Nico Di Angelo stood leaning over the table, wearing a determined expression on his pale face.

The two of them hadn't noticed us yet, so I went right ahead and marched towards them.

   "Hey guys." I said, a little unsure of what to say as I hadn't seen Nico for such a long time.

   "H- hi Perce." Nico sputtered, a little flushed. But he'd gotten over me- he'd told me personally. Guess it was just the general awkwardness ceasing him.
I'd caught him kissing Will Solace before I'd left- so I was convinced.

   "Percy," Annabeth said, looking a little scared, "Oh hey Sally! And...?"
I glanced over at Maya, smiling apologetically.
   "Sorry. This is Maya. She's a fan of, well... me." I said rubbing the back of my neck.
   "Of you?" Annabeth asked, close to laughing. I frowned at her, sticking out my tongue in the process.
   "Yes, of me. Your not the only one who knows how the internet works, Wise Girl." I crossed my arms, showing my inner Persassy.
   "So what... your like famous now? On..."
   "YouTube." I said.
She smiled sheepishly.
   "And what do you do? Oh wait, let me guess. Stunts?" She said, amusement written all over her face.
   "Actually... yes." I said a little dramatically.

This time she let out a proper laugh, instead of holding it in. Nico joined in whilst Maya and my mom stood awkwardly beside me, both glancing at each other as if saying; what are they?

   "Anyway, I came to propose a plan. One that Annabeth is already aware of, at that." Nico said, then, "And I suggest we go talk about it somewhere a little less... public." He said, scrunching his nose up slightly, showing just the slightest bit of disgust.
   "Aw, Nico. Scared of a little people?"
He smiled dryly at me.
   "When it comes to talking about death? No. Not really. They're usually the ones scared."

Ugghhh I wrote so much I had to delete 500 words 'cause it was literally completely unnecessary I'm dying...
Thank you, to those whom are currently taking the time to read my story. Sorry it's so crappy, but don't worry- magic shall begin...
*evil laughter in the background as the light fades out*
Thanks! Merci! Tack!