20 - Listen

Percy's POV

"Annabeth. Please... just- just listen to me!" I paced back and forth, kicking at the floor aimlessly.

"No, you listen here. You promised you'd be there for me. You haven't even told me why you have to go back! The least you could do is explain yourself!" She stormed up to me, waving her hand in my face.

"A- Annabeth..." I started.

She must have seen the hopelessness in my eyes as her face expression quickly softened.

"Percy, if it's something bad, I'll understand. Heck, I'll even come with you. But if your just homesick... I'll let you go alone. But you promised..."

She led me to her bed in the hotel room and sat us both down.

I took a shaky breath. She was my best friend but... should I really tell her about my mom? Didn't my mom deserve that tiny but of privacy?

Then again, this might be my only chance to go home and help her and if I left without Annabeth understanding why...

"My mom." I mumbled weakly.

"What?" She whispered back soothingly, rubbing my back as I calmed down.

"My mom... she's being... by Gabe- and I- I left her. It's my fault."

I stumbled on my words, not quite gaining the confidence to speak.
Annabeth caught her breath.

"You mean... yes of course you do." She said to herself, then practically tackled me with a hug. Silent tears ran down my face as she comforted me.

I wondered whether other high schoolers went through... this. No. My life probably messed itself up, if only to hurt me.

Why me?

"We should start packing. Our money's running out anyway, so I guess..." she didn't finish the thought. We both knew what she was talking about anyway.

The very next day we were ready and boarding the flight.
I would never forget the time in Stockholm we'd had together.

It was amazing.

The time a seagull stole my blue ice cream, when Annabeth and I had raced through most museums in the whole city, when we'd stayed up to five a.m watching Netflix...
"Hey." Annabeth squeezed my hand as we sat down in our seats.

"We can do this again, right? I mean... after college and... the rest." She asked, smiling shyly at me.

"Sure Wise Girl. Just... let's sort through our mess of a life first."

She chuckled at my response.

Guess she thought everything was spinning out of control just as much as I thought.

"Oh my God! Ms. Chase?!"

I heard someone shout loud and clear from the seats to our right.

"Erm... yeah?"

She answered blindly, straining her neck to see whom was shouting her name.

I spotted a teen with short blonde hair, much like Annabeths, and amber eyes. I liked her eyes, but not as much as Annabeths.

"Your... your thee Annabeth Chase?" She asked ecstatically.

Wise Girl nodded slowly.

The girl squealed and jumped from the seat, obstructing the passengers clambering into the plane.

She threw her arms around her, causing Annabeth to glance at me worriedly. I laughed.
The girl pulled away from the massive hug and stared at Annabeth.