19 - Staying or Going

Sally's POV

I didn't know what to tell anyone who asked anymore.
What could I say?

My son followed his best friend to a different continent and hasn't  contacted me once.

No. avoiding all human socialisation was easier to deal with.

And Gabe... not only is he rude, but he's scaring me. A lot...

   "Gabe honey, could you please come eat breakfast? Your omelette is on the table."
I shouted to the... living room.
You couldn't really call it a living room anymore. It was completely trashed.
The sofa had somehow rotated so it was now facing the window rather than the television.
The carpet lay in a heap by the door.
All the framed pictures of Percy, Grover, Annabeth and I throughout the years had gone... missing.
Suddenly gone off their shelves, as if Gabe couldn't be bothered to see their smiling faces, lighting up the whole room.

I heard lazy footsteps shuffle into the room, and I quickly sat down to avoid conflict.
I'd learned my lesson from last time...
   "Sal' where's the beer?"
I shivered as his shrill voice seemed to shake the table.
He sat down opposite of me and took a deep breath, as if walking to a table strained him half to death.
I could almost see myself in two weeks time, Gabe occupying the couch whilst I bring him breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I shivered again.
   "The beers in the fridge, Gabe. Right over there."
I pointed behind him. He didn't bother looking, and instead glowered at me.
   "Beer me."
He said as he practically threw himself into the omelette, shovelling the whole thing into his mouth.
I kept my head high as I stood up and grabbed a beer can, throwing it to him.
He didn't catch it.
Ice filled my veins as he stood, about to do what he'd done for so long now.
But I'd held out for just over three months and I was not going to cower away now.
I always stood my ground until I no longer could. I never made a sound to satisfy him.
And so I closed my eyes as he began beating me once more.

***

Percy's POV

I hovered over the phone, ready to pick it up and quickly dial my moms phone number.
I felt terrible. I knew this is what Annabeth needed, even if it was staying in crappy hotels and just barely catching dinner.
We'd almost run out of money several times already but we kept going.
She didn't want to go back to New York City and I wasn't going to be the one dragging her back unwillingly.
I loved her.
   "What you doing Seaweed Brain?" She asked me with little enthusiasm as she stepped through the door.
   "N-nothing. I... I guess I just really miss my mom. I'm sor-"
   "Don't apologise to me. I dragged you into this-"
   "You most certainly did not. I voluntarily came along-"
   "I know you did, but if it wasn't for me-"
   "I wouldn't be here with my Wise Girl right now. And that would really suck."
She scowled. We'd had this conversation a billion times already, debating whether or not to go back.
Once or twice we'd almost caved. Annabeth may not have  the best of families, but the fact that they hadn't even tried to contact her angered us both.
We were two separate bubbles of anger, just waiting to burst.

   "You... you should call her."
She said, looking almost mystified by her own words.
   "Wha- what?"
   "You should call your mom- Sally. She's more than likely worried sick about you, and... and that Gabe creep still lives with her. Bottom line; you should call her."
I didn't need to hear it from Annabeth. I'd already argued almost nonstop about it in my head, wishing but yet not wanting to call her.
What if I told her where we were? Would the police track the call to Stockholm? Would they come get us? Would they force us back into school?
I shook my head, mostly to convince myself not to call her, but Annabeth frowned.
   "Seaweed Brain. I literally just gave you permission to call your mom, who, may I add, you haven't spoken to in the past three months. So pick up the damn phone before I do it for you."
She stood mere centimetres from my face, and I can't deny that I wanted to lean in. But because I'm a coward, I slowly picked the phone up and dialled her number.

***

Sally's POV

I heard my phone ringing as I stood before the mirror, trying to dry some of the blood off of me.
No tears stained my face this time, and they weren't going to come now.

I quickly ran out of the bathroom and grabbed the buzzing phone lying on my bed.
It didn't say who it was, so I assumed it was one of Gabe's poker buddies, but I'd learnt that you do not, under any circumstances give the phone to Gabe. You arrange any 'meetings' yourself.

  "He-hello?"
I asked, groaning as I sat down on the bed, carefully touching the scrape down my back.
   "Mom?"
Percy's voice. It had to be. I knew it was.

I would've danced with glee if I could.
   "Percy?! Where- where are you? Oh my God please... please come home!"
I couldn't hold it in.
The sobs escaped my mouth.
   "Mom..."
I heard him take a shaky breath, no doubt crying too.
   "I miss you so much but... I think Annabeth needs this right now. We'll be back. I just don't know when."
His voice started tearing up as he babbled on, only leaving me to restrain the tears from falling.
Didn't he understand how worried I'd been? How much a son affects a mother?
   "No... Percy please come..."
I faltered as I opened my eyes again.
I'd had to close my eyes to avoid spilling more tears and now instantly regret it.
Before me stood Gabe, a shadow flashed across his face before he slapped me.

I tried ending the call, but I missed the button.
Oh no, no, no, no...

Sally! What did I say about talking to your mistake of a son? The pesky rat will ruin my life! Hmm... If only there was a way to punish you..."
I sobbed, unable to stop it.
   "Shut up! Shut up! You're ruining the game I've got going on outside!"
I covered my mouth and waited for the second blow to my face.
As he hit me and I fell to the bed, I heard Percy speak at the end of the line, sounding more broken than ever; "I'm coming home."

Hello! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, my holiday just stared so I'm super lazy even if I don't sleep at all.
Next chapter will be a reunion and I'm not really sure how to write it, but I'll post it when it's good so... yeah.
Thanks for reading!
Merci! Tack! Thanks!