she only plugged in to save rock and roll

"and i could see for miles, miles, miles." - holocene [bon iver]

Going home is Maya's least favorite part of tour. Of course she misses the pups, and she misses her friends at school. She loves to be home, but over the months the bus has become home. In the three months they'd been home Brendon and Sarah had been normal parents. They'd been taking their girls to and from school every day, working from home in-between. Brendon would still periscope, but nine out of ten times it was from the car on their way to school. Maya didn't get to pick up a guitar for months, she was too busy with assessments and exams. Music was her refuge, but even then it was stressful. Both her and Amelia barely stepped into the studio, and when the did it was looking for Brendon. The court case involving Maya's biological father is trialled, and he's locked away for thirty years with no bail. And in his kind of health, that's assuming he's got thirty years left. 

October comes around, and Brendon suggests they have a halloween party with everyone. Sarah nods, turning to her daughters, who both nods "Sounds cool." Amelia mumbles, eating. Brendon rolls his eyes "So glad I asked." He jokes, and Maya rolls her eyes back, picking up her empty plate and placing it in the dishwasher "I'm going to finish some homework." She calls, running up the stairs. Amelia rolls her eyes "We all know you're facetiming Noah." Maya stops "Shut up, no I'm not." Sarah laughs "Sure you aren't."

In all seriousness, they'd been going out for four months now, and it was pretty great. They hardly fought, but when they did they knew how to resolve it calmly. They were happy together. She sits at her desk, turning her iMac on and opening a half finished essay. While it's loading she opens facetime. Noah answers almost immediately, smiling "Hey." He grins, and she pauses for a moment before remembering "Oh my gosh, did you get your glasses today?" She laughs, and he nods "Yeah, I don't know how they look on me though." He mumbles, and she rolls her eyes "Ten bucks I don't have says you look great in them. Let me see!" she smiles, and he sighs, putting them on and turning back to his phone "How bad is it?" He jokes "You look like a nerd." She giggles as she continues "But you're my cute nerd." She smiles, and he grins back "Do your homework." He rolls his eyes. 

Brendon sits on the edge of Maya's bed, Amelia was out with Sarah for the day, it's almost eleven and she's still not awake. He reaches over, placing his hand on her shoulder and shaking her slightly "Maya, kiddo you've gotta get up." He speaks softly and she groans, rolling over "What?" She mutters into her pillow, frowning. Brendon laughs "It's almost midday. You've gotta get up." He smiles and she rolls her eyes "I don't have to get up, you want me to get up." She mumbles, pushing her hair off her face before sitting up "Breakfast?" Brendon smiles again "Waffles." She grins, standing and stretching before walking to the kitchen.

Brendon places his mug down "How'd you feel about playing a show soon." She thinks about it for a moment "I don't know, is mom cool-" Brendon cuts her off "Only if you want to, it's okay to say no. Sarah's cool with it either way." She nods her head "I want to, but I haven't played in ages, I don't know if I'm good enough." Brendon smiles again, moving around the counter to hug her "You'll alway be good enough kiddo. You're Maya fucking Urie." She smiles back "Language."

They're sitting like they did when Maya was first learning to play, she smiles at the instrument. Brendon slowly takes his hands off the guitar as she plays nearly witches. He smiles widely as she plays by herself and she begins to laugh, hugging him when she finishes "You're ready to play the forum kiddo." He smiles and she nods happily.

Maya jumps up and down, holding her fender as they stand just off stage. Amelia talks to Dallon about when she's playing. The crowd scream and chant for the band to come on stage. Brendon jumps next to her, laughing his head off as usual "It's okay. You'll be great." She smiles nervously "Do a backflip for me." He nods and kisses her forehead "As if I wouldn't." The crew all nod at each other, and the band do their high-fives while final checks are completed. Brendon fixes Maya's earpiece for her as Dallon, Dan and Ryan all take their places on stage while the lights are out, and Brendon holds Maya and Amelia in a side hug as the lights are turned back on and the sold out forum crowd is revealed. Brendon rubs Maya's shoulder reassuringly, glancing back to where Sarah stands Brendon turns to Amelia "You'll be great. Trust me, you're the best piano player I know. And I play piano." He jokes, then hugs her and kisses the top of her head as he turns to both girls now "We've played bigger venues, it's gonna be great." Maya laughs again, nodding as Brendon kisses her forehead again "You'll be amazing kiddo. I know it. You always are." He smiles before turning to run on stage as they start to play, he looks briefly back to the pair "Watch out for the surprise later!" He calls before running on to the stage, leaving them to wonder what he means.