breakeven

"what am I supposed to do when the best part of me was always you? and what am I supposed to say when I'm all choked up and you're okay?" - breakeven [the script]

Three weeks. That's all it took for Maya to stop sitting with Amelia, Piper, Sam and Noah. She spends all her time with Miles and his group, in class, at lunch, after school. When she passes her former friends in the hallways she offers them sympathetic smiles, small waves. Rose, who Maya now sits with in music, puts her hand on Maya's shoulder "So we're having a party at my place tonight, wanna come?" She thinks for a moment, and she can't remember Brendon or Sarah telling her they had to be anywhere this weekend. She nods "Sounds good, what time?" Rose smiles "7 to whenever." She giggles, turning away "See you there. I'll text you the address." Maya nods again, turning back to her locker and pulling her bag out. 

She walks into the lounge, stopping at the doorway "There's a party at my friend Rose's house tonight, it starts at 7." Sarah thinks for a moment before nodding "Home by eleven or are you staying over?" Maya pauses, remembering Rose's words before shrugging "I'm staying over." Sarah nods again, and Maya begins walking up the stairs to get changed. She closes the door after saying goodbye to Brendon and Sarah, starting the ten minute walk to Rose's. It's still cold, but warm enough that she can get away with wearing a short dress with a leather jacket over the top and a pair of heeled boots. Rose smiles widely, wearing a tight fitting tank-top and skirt with shoes similar to Maya's, as she opens the door. Maya laughs at the loud music and people crowding the inside of the house "Are you parents away?" She asks, Rose nods "I always throw a party when they're out of town. It's tradition. Want a drink?" She offers Maya a plastic cup with a dark liquid in it. Maya shakes her head, memories of afterparties spill into her mind and she takes a sharp breath "I'm alright. Thanks anyway." Rose shrugs "It's cool. Miles is in the kitchen." Maya nods, taking a bottle of coke and walking through the house to find the tanned boy standing by a marble bench. He grins, looking her up and down "Nice dress." He winks and she's not sure whether she's meant to take the complement or feel uncomfortable. She passes it off with a laugh, pulling her jacket tighter around her. Miles leans on the wall next to her "So, you never told me how you ended up at the shitty school that is our's." Maya rolls her eyes "It's the one with the best music program. I play guitar for panic." she explains and he nods "So you're like those kid musicians?" She shakes her head "Nah, I just play for tours and stuff, no albums yet."

  After a few hours of walking around the house, talking to people she's only known for a few weeks, dancing with the same people, and finding three bottles of beer pass through her hands, all now empty at her feet. She giggles, stumbling into the kitchen to find Miles once more, leaning against the wall. She climbs onto the counter, swinging her legs back and forth. He smirks at her "Someone looks a little drunk." She shakes her head wildly "No. Definitely not. No way I'm drunk." He walks towards her "Really?" She nods "Really." He grins again "Then prove it." She stops, looking him dead in the eyes, he's walking closer, and gets close enough that she can feel his breath. She moves forward slightly on the bench and he smirks as she kisses him. He's got her exactly where he wants her. She wraps her legs around his waist, hands on his shoulders. His own hands are in her hair, and though she can't help but think of Noah, she decides then and there that she likes Miles. The pair continue to kiss in the kitchen, eventually breaking away for Miles to find a drink in the living room. Casey, one of the boys of their group, raises his eyebrows as Miles places his arm around Maya's waist. She feels like she's blushing, but can't tell through the alcohol-induced haze. They fall onto one of the sofas, and Maya rolls to face Miles, kissing him again. She thinks he's a good kisser, but once again she's a little too tipsy to tell. He's not exactly gentle, but he's not rough.

By the morning Maya can't remember most of the party. She knows one thing though, she kissed Miles. And he kissed her back. She rolls over, falling unceremoniously off the sofa. She can hear Rose in the kitchen, and walks  in to find Miles kneeling over a bucket. She rolls her eyes, hiding her smirk at what's clearly his first hangover. She passes him a bottle of water "Good morning." She smiles lightly, rubbing the back of her neck. She only has a headache. He grins back "Morning."

She doesn't know where they stand, sure, he had basically invited her to kiss him. But it didn't mean they were a thing. They'd talk about it later, when Miles wasn't as hungover.     

Amelia watches as photos from Rose's annul no-parent party appear on instagram and twitter. She watches people become more and more shitfaced through the night, until Maya appears in a photo. Her face isn't in it, but her hair gives it away. The worst part is that she's in Miles' lap, making out on a sofa. 

Pipes is calling

"I've completely lost all faith and trust in her." Piper declares, almost on the verge of tears. She'd been close to Maya, but not as close as she was with Emily. She hadn't spoken to Emily since she'd been expelled, because she'd moved to San Francisco. But they were best friends, they knew everything about each other, and Piper would never forgive Miles for getting her expelled. Amelia hesitates "I can't give up on her completely Pipes. You know I couldn't do that to her. What happens when it starts to go downhill, we can't abandon her." Piper's immediately furious, "What the fuck Amelia. You were friends with Em too. He got her kicked out, we warned her about him. You can't stand by while she's snogging that piece of shit." Amelia shakes her head sadly "Pipes, Em was years ago. And she made the choice to confess about it. You've gotta let it go. I know he hasn't changed, the picture proves it. But there's no talking her out of this. We've gotta let Miles do what Miles always does. I'm not asking you to forgive him, hell you can bash him up when he's done with Maya, but we've just gotta make sure he doesn't hurt her." Piper takes a deep breath, tears freely falling down her face "Okay, I can do that - we can do that." Amelia nods again before saying goodbye and hanging up, looking at the photos of Maya and Miles once more. She sighs, frowning "God, I hope Sarah and Brendon know about this." 

a/n: and the boy drama escalates whoops + you guys i won my first race of the season/since my knee surgery and we beat all of our times from last season woo  

hope you liked this one !

grace x