heaven's grief

Brendon wakes with his face on the edge of Maya's hospital bed, she's still sleeping. Sarah walks in, handing him a coffee in a cardboard cup. He smiles, standing and kissing her cheek "Hey, how is she?" Sarah whispers as Brendon stretches. He shrugs "Good, tired. It's gonna take a while to get things back to normal." She nods, and glances over Brendon's shoulder at their daughter, who's starting to wake up. Maya opens her eyes and Sarah smiles "Hi May. How'd you sleep?" Maya thinks for a moment "Dad's a sappy romantic." Brendon laughs and rolls his eyes, Sarah just looks confused before Brendon explains "She wanted me to sing something, so I sang the end of all things, and I told her I wrote it for you." She smiles, nodding "That's true. He's a softy." She jokes, hugging him before sitting next to Maya's bed. The same doctor from the day before walks in, holding a clipboard with Maya's information on it "How'd you sleep Maya?" He asks, looking over the records of her vitals from the night. She shrugs "Good. I woke up a few times, only when the nurses came in." He nods, checking something off on the clipboard before turning to the door and waving Brendon into the corridor.

"Has she ever attempted suicide before?" He asks sternly, and Brendon nods slowly "Once, she was over-stressed and on the verge of depression, it was when her mom was in hospital, and her first tour." The doctor nods again "We're not putting her on suicide watch, the psych's don't think it's necessary. But I'd advise you keep her out of school for two weeks, then go back every other day to get used to it again. Schools aren't ideal places for recovering kids, but make sure she's still making contact with friends and any extended family. You need to watch her closely, anything that seems like a relapse, you need to see it before it happens. I'd recommend a therapist or child psychologist too." Brendon nods and they re-enter the room where Maya lies, Sarah sitting next to her. 

"Your blood tests have come back through, and you're all good to go home." He turns to Brendon and Sarah "You need to watch her for the next twelve to twenty four hours for any symptoms of a hypoxic brain injury and septiceamia, which is essentially blood-poisoning. She'll get dizzy and have impaired motor skills, or in the case of septicaemia, a fever, chills or rapid breathing. You're going to be tired for the next few days, and you'll probably get worn out easily after the stomach pump. Other than that everything should be normal." They nod and he hands over the discharge papers, leaving for them to sign. 

When he returns to collect the papers, a nurse enters as well, removing the monitors attached to her arms and stomach as well as the oxygen mask from her face. She stands slowly, holding onto Brendon for support as they walk out of the room and to the car. The drive home is quiet, Brendon hums something before joining the singing on the radio "Knock, knock, knockin' on heaven's door." He sings with the same accent as the singer, making Maya laugh. Brendon rolls his eyes "Gun's n' Roses. Classics." He jokes and Maya smiles as they pull into the driveway.   

Brendon carries her to the sofa as Sarah brings her laptop, phone and blankets. Sarah's phone begins to ring, and she passes it to Brendon "They want you at the offices." She whispers as he takes the phone. Brendon sighs as they talk before Sarah takes the phone "It's just signing stuff for the next round of shows, whenever that is. I can sign for you." He smiles gratefully, kissing her before she turns away from the sofa "Yep, I'm coming to the offices instead of Brendon. He's cool with it, yeah." She hangs up and grabs her bag, kissing Maya on the forehead before she leaves.

Brendon sits next to Maya on the sofa, and she takes the chance to lie on her back with her head resting in his lap. He picks up the remote "What're we watching kiddo?" He asks, scrolling through netflix. She looks up and thinks for a moment "What about Stranger Things." She giggles as he shakes his head "We've already seen it three times." He laughs and she rolls her eyes at him "But dad, it's like, the best show on netflix." She drags out dad and he laughs again before nodding "Stranger Things for the fourteenth thousand time it is." She smiles and turns back to the TV as the episode plays. Brendon plays with her hair and sighs slightly before he asks "Why didn't you talk to me kiddo? I'll always listen to you, I don't care if it's about something at school or wanting to jump off a balcony. I'll always listen to you." She nods "I got home from school, and everyone knew. From the day I got back, because Miles wasn't there and they'd all been at the party, they all knew what'd happened. Everyone was staring and talking about me and I just felt like they thought I deserved it, or I had it coming. And when I got home and I was alone everything just got too much and I couldn't think about anything other than how everything was in my hands now. I could really do it this time, I could finish the job. And then you got home and-" She sits up, hugging him "I'm just really sorry dad." He nods, hugging her back "Don't apologize, you haven't done anything you need to apologize for." She nods and lies back down "I got overwhelmed and everything at school, and Miles, and everything got turned upside down and it was the only thing I could see working out." She mumbles. He shakes his head "You just have to talk to me and mom, okay? I don't care if I'm at the label or halfway across the planet. You're always going to be my priority." He smiles sadly and she nods again, Brendon hits play, and they watch netflix for almost three hours until Sarah arrives home again, carrying two boxes. Brendon almost trips over standing up "Pizza!" he declares, making Maya giggle as he picks her up off the sofa. Sarah laughs "How's Eleven and the gang?" She asks sarcastically, knowing how many times Maya had watched the show. Maya smiles sheepishly as she takes a bite "Pete and Joe agree with me, it's the best show." Brendon nods "And they're not wrong." Sarah only rolls her eyes "LA Devotee's a great song Bren, but how weird can the music videos get before people get creeped out." Brendon rolls his eyes back "If Miley Cyrus can make a naked music video then I get to be a demon." He states, Maya laughs even more.

a/n: a little break from angst for y'all + what do you guys think of vegas lights so far, i like it a lot tbh, but if you have any ideas of stuff to happen (keep in mind i have like 10 drafts rn that need to be published) please tell me in the comments ! i'm always super excited to hear your opinions and ideas !

+ nz readers stay safe if you're in any areas affected by the recent earthquake x

hope you liked it kids !

grace x