i beg to dream and differ

"the representative from california has the floor" - holiday [green day]

Maya hands Amelia five bucks as Tyler's car pulls into the school. Maya hugs her before climbing into the back seat, where a bass drum rests next to her. Maya glances over it suspiciously for a moment "You bought a new drum." She states, putting her bag at her feet. Josh nods "Yep." He smiles and Tyler nods "So what's happening at school?" Maya shrugs "This kid who apparently got expelled two years ago came back. Everyone made a huge deal about it." Tyler frowns slightly, turning onto a different road "What'd he do?" Maya pauses for a moment, trying to remember what Amelia had told her "He got a bunch of other kids expelled and suspended four years ago. He got kicked out for trying to set fire to the oval." Josh sighs "Stay away from him, okay? You don't wanna get mixed up with guys like that." Maya nods, looking out the window as they drive.

Maya walks into second-period geography, her only class without Sam, Piper, Noah or Amelia. She sits at her usual desk, near the middle of the class, and pulls her textbook out, waiting for the teacher to arrive. The usually loud classroom falls silent as someone walks in, a few people call out, high-fiving the boy who sits in the empty desk next to Maya. She stares straight ahead, trying to ignore him "Hey," He raises his eyebrows as she turns her head "You're the girl from yesterday in the cafeteria, aren't you?" Maya nods "Yeah, what does that have to do with anything?" he shrugs "I'm Miles. You're new." Maya shrugs back, turning to face the front again "I've been told. And I've been here since last year, actually." He gives her a seemingly-nice grin "Ah, that'd be why I don't know you. You're still new to me." She nods again, pulling her notebooks out. He leans over the space between them, reading the name off the top of her book "Maya Urie. As in," he pauses, trying to remember the first name to match Urie. Maya sighs "Brendon? Panic! At The Disco? Sarah?" She lists, bored. He grins again "That's it. You're they're daughter?" She nods "That's me. Maya Urie." He leans back in his chair "You must be pretty famous around here then, if you've got bragging rights over LA then why're you sitting with Amelia and her tag-team of weirdos." Maya frowns for a moment "They're my friends, so back off." Miles raises his hands "Alright, fine." Maya turns away completely now, ignoring him as their teacher enters. The next time he talks to her is when they're standing to leave. Maya picks her things up and moves toward the door. Miles puts his hand on her shoulder "You should sit with us at lunch." He gestures behind him to the five or six other students standing with him. She shrugs "I'll think about it." He gives her the same grin as earlier before she leaves.

Maya sees Miles wave her over to their table in the centre of the cafeteria, and she pauses, thinking. Josh told her not to get mixed up with him. Noah said to stay away, and she trusted Noah, she liked Noah. Didn't she? Miles waves again, looking impatient, and Maya gives in. He offers her the seat next to him, and she sits slowly, only looking up long enough to catch Amelia's stunned face before she turns to the rest of the group now sitting around her. A girl she'd only spoken to a few times in math gasps at her "So, what's touring like? Did you meet anyone really famous at the vma's?" Maya shrugs "There were loads of people on the red carpet, I only spoke to a few of them. Tour's pretty fun, I guess." Miles looks over at her "You didn't tell me you'd been on tour, or to the vma's." Maya shrugs again "You never asked." He rolls his eyes "Doesn't mean I didn't want to know." she looks down, confused, before returning to the conversation.

Amelia nearly shoves her over when they reach the chemistry classroom "What the fuck was that?" Maya frowns "I don't know, he told me to sit with them at lunch. He's in my geography class, he seems okay." Amelia shakes her head quickly "Maya you can't be near him, he's poisonous, you're only getting yourself into some deep shit if you keep hanging out with him." Maya looks down "I don't know Amelia, he might've changed. You haven't seen him in two years. People can change." Amelia only continues to shake her head "Not people like Miles. He doesn't change."

a/n: this is too short omg sorry but i miss talking to you guys through mini authors notes like please tell me how your day has been did you have a good lunch i hope you got the grade you wanted on that assignment/good luck in that test kids

also i don't even know if that counts as a lyric but hey it's my fave sort of lyric from holiday

(still) hope you liked it !

grace x