Chapter 40: Speak Of The Devil

Start from the beginning

Whispers spread throughout the classroom

"What the heck? A new teacher?"

"Yeah, everyone's thrilled, can't you tell?"

"I'm not—"

"It was sarcasm Reece, of course no one is happy. At least he's just a long term substitute, they usually suck."

"True that," Reece said, throwing up his hand for a high five.

"Come on out here!" Said the principal, gesturing to someone standing in the doorway. He stepped through and my jaw dropped.

Oh HELL NO....

"Mr. O'Donoghue!"

I slumped down in my chair and looked over at Reece. His reaction was the exact opposite of mine. I felt like this was all a dream, or a terrible nightmare, that I couldn't wake up from.

"Hi," he said waving to the class, "you guys can call me Ryan if you want, I don't mind"

Girls began giggling as he surveyed the class, beaming a smile to everyone.

"Hey Ryan!" Reece shouted

"You idiot!" I whispered angrily through gritted teeth.

We made eye contact and Ryan's face quickly changed from a forced smile to more of a sly smirk.

"I see there are already some of you here that know Mr. O'Donoghue, so you should feel right at home! I'll leave you to your job Ryan, make us proud!" Said the principal, patting him on the back as he walked out of the class.

"So, where were you guys?" Ryan asked, sitting in the desk at the front of the room.

"We had a project due today—"

Crap, Reece and I totally blew that off...

"Great! Ryan said jumping up from the desk, how many of you actually did it?"

Two people In the class raised their hands.

"Ok so you'll both get an extra 100 in the grade book, everyone else... I'm disappointed in you," he said through a smile that was creeping onto his face.

"What are we doing today?"

"Well, principal whatshisface seems to think we should get right to work, but I think you guys need time to adapt to your new teacher, am I right?"

Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Great, so why don't we take the day off and get to know each other!" Ryan suggested, closing the door and going back to sit in the desk, "does anyone have any questions for me?"

I raised my hand

"Yes Savannah?" He smirked

"Why are you here Ryan?"

"Awe, I thought we left on good terms? By the way, don't call me Ryan..."

I was taken aback by his rude comment, "but you said—"

"You may call me Ryan when you've gained my trust... right now, it's Mr. O'Donoghue to you"

"Yeah, that's not gonna work," I said

"Say it..." He demanded, "if you want your question answered, you'll have to say it."

"Are you trying to threaten me?"

"No sweetheart, it was a promise," he said, licking his lips.

You could practically hear panties dropping in the class. He looked around and thought of another clever thing to say.

"Now, where have I heard that line before? Oh yes, must've been when you accompanied me in some of our extracurricular activities... Though I must say, you definitely received an A plus..."

"Ryan—"

"You never have a problem saying my name before, why is it so hard now?" He asked, folding his hands over his lap and leaning back in his chair, "pun intended!"