Chapter 30: Bonds

Start from the beginning

"Idiot," Kashi playfully condemned. "Don't you go doing anything that dangerous ever again." When he thought of the bodies, weapons, and blood scattered around the field, he was able to draw a rough estimate of what had transpired. 

Several hours earlier

'Humans are too slow,' Kira thought to herself as she controlled her pace to match those of the bandits chasing her. She ensured she remained just an inch away from their arrows, and on occasion, she would 'stumble,' allowing the swordsmen to try and get a strike in, but they would always miss by a close margin.

Kira did this to give the bandits false hope that she would run out of Stamina soon and be at their mercy while simultaneously whittling away at their Stamina. Once they were a fair distance from the village, she noticed the bandits had slowed down even more and realized they had run out of Stamina. Weak. If only the daeben were as weak as they were, she would have killed him long ago.

Kira swiftly lost them and doubled back to the harbor. She got there in time to see the two-legged females and little ones run off towards the village and waited for Kashi's signals. However, time passed, and the expected signal did not come.

Kira began to consider entering the building when familiar smells caught her attention, and she realized the bandits were returning. Luckily, there was a strong wind blowing towards the harbor, so their strong scent had traveled towards her.

Kira did not know what was keeping the daeben, but she knew that if the bandits saw the females, they would rush to the harbor to investigate. After a brief wait for the daeben, she left her hiding spot in the shrubs and ran back, cutting through the town to shave off time.

The smell grew stronger, and Kira knew she was getting close to them. Judging by the rate at which the smell drew nearer, the bandits were leisurely strolling back to base. 'You need patience if you're going to succeed.' The annoying daeben's advice played in her head, and she reluctantly did as instructed. 'Stay hidden...'

Kira searched for a place to hide, annoyed by the lack of trees in the surrounding region, but there were tall grass and shrubs a little ways off the roadside. She ran into one of these and crouched low. 'Take your time...'

Kira watched with bated breath as the bandits walked by her, one of them lagging a few steps behind from apparent exhaustion. She waited until the straggler passed, then exited her hiding spot. 'Approach carefully...'

Kira's paws made not the slightest sound against the earth as she trailed her target. 'Then wait. When your target is least prepared...' She struck!

Kira dashed forward and used her incredible body size to knock the straggler to the ground. She proceeded to bite down on his throat and rip out his jugular before he could make a sound.

The remaining five bandits whirled around, but Kira was able to dispatch the nearest in a similar fashion before the rest entered formation around her. Growling, she circled around the body of the Rogue she just dispatched, eyes trained on the men around her.