Chapter 30: Bonds

Start from the beginning

Kashi squeezed through and stopped in disbelief.

Mish-mashed body parts were scattered around a small area, the field dyed in red from dried blood splattered all around. It was like someone had gathered several buckets of blood and tossed them all over. At the very center of the grotesque scene lay Kira, her fur also dyed red.

Kashi ran to Kira's side and placed his ear against her chest, smiling when he heard a heartbeat, faint as it was. He pulled out his first aid kit and began to treat her injuries, only releasing a sigh of relief when he heard her breathing stabilize.

"Here, let her drink this. It will speed up her recovery." Elecurb handed him a potion that temporarily increased the Rate of Health Regeneration.

"Thank you." Kashi accepted the potion and assisted the unconscious wolf in drinking it. Once her breathing settled into even intervals, he turned to Elecurb and bowed in a humble dogeza. "You have my gratitude, but I do not wish to damper your celebrations. If it pleases you, I shall stay by her side while you return to your festivities."

Elecurb waved his hands. "We could not pos—"

Kashi clasped his hands around the elder's. "I cannot possibly fathom the horrors the fair ladies and innocent children must have endured in that cage. But this has made me understand the haunting fear and pain that plagues those who lose their dear ones and blame themselves for their helplessness. Please, I implore you! Celebrate and cherish your reunion. It would shame me if I were to be the cause of a somber mood on a night as beautiful as this."

Elecurb paused, taken aback by the elf's pleas. He had seen the cruelty of the daeben during the Great War and still harbored a hatred for their kind in his heart. He had initially only planned on using the daeben, hoping he and the bandits killed each other. But not anymore; Kashi's sincerity had erased all of his hatred.

"I understand, Kashi-dono." Elecurb smiled and turned to the onlookers. "Our hero wishes that we celebrate tonight while he sits alone. What do the people of Ranad have to say to that?"

"Nay!"

"We celebrate together or not at all!"

Elecurb turned and smiled at the gobsmacked daeben. "And there you have it. If you wish for our happiness, then please grant us the permission to tend to her in our village while you join us."

Kashi looked from the chief to the villagers and sighed. "If you insist so, it would be rude of me to resist."

The villagers cheered as two men lifted Kashi onto their shoulders, chanting his name. He saw three more men place Kira on a stretcher, and the jubilating procession marched back to the town to continue the celebrations.

The festivities continued well into the early hours of the day, and minutes before sunrise, an exhausted Kashi stumbled into the house where Kira lay asleep

The festivities continued well into the early hours of the day, and minutes before sunrise, an exhausted Kashi stumbled into the house where Kira lay asleep. He sat down beside her, a sad smile on his face as he patted her head.