Chapter 30: Bonds

Start from the beginning

Kashi pocketed 5,000 Syros as his commission and left the rest. He then walked around the room, inspecting the goods to see if he could find anything of use to him. The daeben's search yielded good results, some of which included improved sets of crafting and cooking tools and equipment, a pair of books on Gathering and Botany, and finally, a couple of rings he decided to identify later.

Kashi was disappointed in the weapons and armor as they were inferior to his current equipment. Though that shouldn't come as a surprise. His current gear's stats looked like they belonged to someone around level 50. It would be a while before he felt the need to switch up his equipment.

The last thing Kashi picked up was a detailed map of the Atled Delta with several lines drawn across it. He could not decipher it, but he guessed the villagers might be able to shed some light on it. Kashi folded the map and placed it in a storage tube, which he in turn placed in his inventory.

Satisfied with the haul, Kashi exited the room and locked the door behind him. He ascended the stairs, closed the trapdoor, and then made his way out of the building.

"Huaa. Nice breeze," Kashi exclaimed happily once he stepped outside. He surveyed the area and was not surprised to find no traces of the women. The daeben let out a wry smile as he realized the women would not have told their husbands who rescued them.

Kashi shook his head and called out for Kira. When there was no answer, he called out a few more times, each without reply. Kashi paled, and the joy drained away as fear began to set in. "Kira!" Kashi called as he ran along the coast. However, when he was sure she wasn't around, he sprinted towards the town, pissed off at his own stupidity.

As was to be expected, Ranad was alight with festivities, the villagers rejoicing over the return of the women and children. The villagers danced a happy tune, drinks flowed, and jokes cracked as every man, woman, and child shed all responsibilities for one night of endless fun.

Kashi tore through the town, upsetting the festivities, and came to a hard stop in front of the mayor.

"Kashi-dono!" Elecurb, chief of Ranad, greeted with a bright smile upon Kashi's return. "I have splendid—" His speech was cut short when Kashi gripped his shoulders, panic and fear in his eyes.

"My partner... The wolf," Kashi said between huffs of exhaustion. All pretense of polite speech was drowned out by urgency. "Have you seen her?!"

"C-calm down, Kashi-dono," Elecurb urged. "One of the boys said they saw her running north just over an hour or so ago. What's the matter?"

"I... I can't find her. I... Bandits... asked her... lure away. She isn't dead, right? She can't be!" Kashi implored as his grip tightened on Elecurb's shoulders.

"Stand proud, Kashi-dono. You helped my people. We will join in the search. It's the least we could do to repay your kindness," Elecurb said and turned to the townspeople who had gathered around, who were over what was going on. "That's enough celebration for tonight. Kashi-dono requires our help. What kind of people would we be if we did not assist?"

The women looked away in shame as they realized they had wrongly attacked the daeben. "As penance for our transgression, we shall search until we find her," a woman offered in apology, and the others nodded enthusiastically. The villagers dispersed, each grabbing a torch on their way out of the village, calling for the missing wolf.

Kashi searched on his own, feeling a slight pang of guilt for deceiving the villagers. His acting had been a little over the top, but he needed their help if he was to find Kira. 'You better be alright.'

Several minutes later, shouts of "Found her!" reached Kashi's ears and he took off in the direction of the voices. The screams led him to a meadow where several villagers were gathered around something, mumbling to each other.