Chapter 28 (Part 1)

Chapter 28

Preparations

Hayden's P.O.V*

I held Drake's hand as we looked through the different cakes. I never thought it'd be this complicated to choose a wedding cake. We have to pick a shape, color, design, topper, and flavor. Drake's really only here to taste the different cakes. He's not really helpful on anything else.

"Could you give me some input?" I asked Drake who was daydreaming.

"I'm sorry." He said. "You know I'm not big on this stuff. I don't care what the cake looks like."

"I know, but this is hard by myself."

"Fine." He said.

We looked through the different cakes and decided on a round buttermilk cake with four layers. The sides would have small designs of flowers on them. Drake chose the topper where the groom held the bride up and the bride had her legs wrapped around the groom, and they kissed.

"Your cake should be ready in 3 weeks." The baker said.

"We'll pick it up then." I said. "Thank you."

Drake and I left the bakery. Today we're doing all wedding things. Our wedding is at the end of the month so everything right now is last minute.

"Now where are we off to?" He asked.

"The caterers. We have food tasting."

"I don't think I can eat another thing." He said with a frown.

"The caterers is the last thing. It's beginning to get late and we have the pick up the kids."

"Fine." He sighed.

After going to the caterers and deciding on the food we want, we went to Carson's house to pick up the kids. Now that Matt is old enough, Brandon likes to have him as a play mate.

"You ordered the boy's tuxes right?" I asked Drake.

"Yes." He said with a dismissive tone.

I sighed. "There's still time for you to back out of this." I told him. "I don't want you to feel forced into something. There are a lot of couples with kids who aren't married."

"I want to marry you." He said. "I've always wanted to marry you, but I'm just not excited about the planning stuff. It's stressful, especially when you're doing it within a few months."

"I know it's soon, but your mom is helping us. She's taking care of half. We have the location booked, the food, the cake, the bridesmaids and groomsmen. My dress. We're pretty much set. The wedding is in just a couple weeks."

"Then you'll be Mrs. Hayden Burton." I smiled. Just the sound of that makes my insides tingle. Since the day Drake and I said we loved each other, I dreamed of marrying him and taking his last name. Almost 5 years later, here we are planning our wedding. It's finally going to happen.

Drake parked in Carson's driveway and we went to ring the doorbell. A moment passed before Cindy answered the door.

"Hey guys, come on in."

We entered the house and I heard Brandon's voice in the other room. I entered the room and Brandon looked up at me. Normally he'd run to me, but instead he turned his attention back to Matt and the toys they were playing with.

"Well, I feel loved." I said. "Where are the babies?"

"They're upstairs napping." Cindy answered. "I'll go get them ready."