Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Steps

Hayden's P.O.V*

This ring can't possibly be real. Drake was just saying how we don't have the money. I examined the ring. It had a silver band and a diamond, that was about 2 karats, was cut in the princess style. It was absolutely gorgeous and was probably the most expensive thing I've ever held.

"Hayden." Drake said, getting my attention. I looked at him. "I've loved you from the moment I laid eyes on you in the mall. I loved you even more the day you told me you were pregnant with Brandon. I know I've made many mistakes in my life, but you and our kids are the very few good things. I want to spend the rest of my life with you raising our four beautiful children, together. Hayden Barnes, will you marry me?"

I wanted to cry and it took all the power I had, not to. I couldn't speak, afraid that'd make me cry, so I nodded my head in agreement. The largest, happiest smile I'd ever seen on Drake's face appeared. He took the ring from me and slipped it on to my finger.

I wrapped my arms around him in a tight hug and he immediately hugged me back.

"Oh my gosh!" Kristie exclaimed. "I'm so happy for you. Let me see."

I reached my hand across the table and she examined the ring on my finger up close. I feel different being engaged. I feel more... adult. I know I have kids and should already feel like an adult, but now I feel older. Even more mature than before.

"I can't believe my best friend is getting married." She said.

"You? I can't believe I'm getting married."

"I can't wait to help you plan this out. It's going to be perfect."

"Don't start too soon." Drake said. "We're going to have to wait a while. All of my money went into that ring."

"Yeah, totally." Kristie said, waving him away. "It's going to be huge!" She said, turning her attention back to me.

I smiled, just thinking about our wedding. I don't mind if we have to wait. I just love the fact that I'm engaged. That Drake is my fiancée.

***

After a while, Joey and Kristie decided it was time for them to leave. Alyssa and Darren were upstairs in their cribs taking a nap. Brooke laid on the floor playing with the baby gym. I sat on the couch staring at my engagement ring. It still looks so foreign on my finger.

"What are you doing?" Drake asked, sitting down beside me.

"Just... looking." I answered.

"You like it?"

"Like it? I love it. But how did you afford this?"

"Oh, I'll be paying for that for most of my life. But it's worth it."

I smiled and leaned in to give him a kiss. I'm glad to say that I'm a teen mom who ended up happy with the father of her children. Not many teen moms end up with the father of their children and I'm happy to be different.

"I had actually changed my mind about proposing today because Brandon is in the hospital." Drake said. "But I figured you needed something to brighten your day."

"You had perfect timing." I kissed him again. "I'm going to call my mom and Carson to tell them the news."

Drake's P.O.V*