Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Mistakes

Drake's P.O.V*

A family left and I went to clean their table. I really need a promotion. I can't stand cleaning up after people. Adults are messier than Brandon.

"Hey Drake." Haley said, coming up behind me.

"Hey, how are you?"

"I'm good. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out after work."

'I thought you understood me when I said I'm in a relationship."
"It's not a date. You can bring Hayden and Brandon."

"Hayden is on bed rest for the week."
"Really? Why, what happened?"

"There was a tear in her placenta and she needs to rest for it to heal."

"Sounds serious."

"It is. We're lucky we didn't lose the babies."

"Well, maybe it could just be you and Brandon."

"I'm not going to leave Hayden home while I go out and have a good time."
"Then maybe sometime next week."

"I'll think about it."
As I took the bin of dirty to the kitchen, my phone rang. I dumped the dishes at the kitchen then answered.

"Hello?"

"Drake," Hayden's voice rang. "There's a guy here who wants to see you."

"Who?"
"I'm not sure. He won't tell me his name."

"Did you tell him I'm at work?"

"Yes, but he's desperate to see you."

Who would be so desperate to see me? And who's this guy? He must be serious if Hayden had to call me about him.

"Let me speak to him." I said.

There was shuffling and static on the other end. A moment passed before he spoke.

"I need an answer." He said.

"Paul?" Anger rose in me. "You couldn't wait for me to call? Hayden doesn't need to know anything about this."

"I'm not worried about what she knows. I need your answer."

"Can't I have longer to think about it?"
"No, now."

I sighed. I don't want to deal again. I've been to jail and shot. What could happen this time? What would Hayden think? Would she understand, or would she want nothing to do with me like before? But if I don't deal, Duke could take my family away. I can't underestimate him, in fear that I was wrong. My family is more important than I am. If I don't make it through this, they can still live on without me. But if I lose them, I don't know what I'd do with myself.

"Alright I'm in."

"Good choice. I'll let duke know and get back to you about when he wants you to start."

"Okay. Just don't go to my house anymore."
He hung up and I shoved my phone back in my pocket. I sighed. I can't escape my past.

Hayden's P.O.V*

The guy shoved the phone back at me and left. He got in his car and sped down the road. Who was he and what did he need an answer for?

I closed the door and went to sit on the couch. I turned on the TV and flipped through the channels.

"Hayden?" My mom said, coming into the room.

"Hi. How are you?"
I haven't seen her in days. I've heard her in her room watching TV and when she showers. But she never leaves.