Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Persistent

Drake's P.O.V*

I took the order of a couple and placed the order in the kitchen. I'm really liking this new job. I've been getting a lot of good tips which means I'm doing my job right.

"Do you still like the new job?" Haley asked from behind me. I turned to see her smiling at me.

"Yeah. I've been making good tips. And it's far easier than cleaning up after people."

"Drake!" I heard Hayden call. I turned to see her seated in a booth with the kids. I smiled and walked over to them.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her.

"I thought we'd pay you a visit. And I was hungry, but didn't feel like cooking."

"Daddy." Brandon said, reaching up towards me.

I picked him up and tossed him in the air. He laughed. I then placed him back in his seat.

"Since you're sitting at one of my tables, can I get you something to drink."

"A coke and an apple juice."

"Coming right up."

I left to get them their drinks. I'm glad they came by to visit. I miss them when I'm at work.

"It was nice of them to come see you." Haley said.

"Yeah. Days like these I usually don't see them until dinner."

Hayden's P.O.V*

Brandon began to mess with things on the table. I forgot to bring him something to do. He grabbed the dessert brochure off the table and began to unfold and fold it.

"Brandon please leave that alone. I don't want you to rip it." I took it from him and returned it to it's original spot.

"Here." Drake said, placing our drinks on the table. He handed Brandon a paper and a pack of crayons.

"You're a life saver." I told him. "I forgot to bring him something to do."

"Yeah, I noticed. Now, can I take your order?"

"Uh, yeah."

I ordered and Drake wrote it on a notepad. He then left and went to place my order.

"Hi Hayden." Haley said. I looked up to see her smiling at me.

She knows that I don't like her, yet she's still trying to talk to me. Why won't she just leave me alone?

"Hi Haley." I said.

"It's nice to see you again. How are the kids?"

"They're doing fine."

"Is that an engagement ring?" She asked, gesturing to the ring on my finger.

"Yeah. Drake proposed two days ago."

"Congratulations. I'm happy for the two of you. You're so cute together."

"Thanks."

I studied her face and thought I saw a glimpse of sadness. I wish she would just get over Drake. I'm sure if she knew the old him, she'd hate him.

"Here's your food." Drake said, coming up and placing the two plates on the table, one in front of me, and the other in front of Brandon.

"Thanks." I said.

"What's going on over here?" Drake asked, looking between Haley and me.

"I just saw Hayden's ring. Why didn't you tell me you two were engaged?"