Chapter 31

Jason's POV:

Chelsea managed to stay silent through most of the car ride which I was more than thankful for, to say the least I want exactly in the mood for her complaining about my behavior at the diner.

To be truthful I knew my behavior was out of line, but I just couldn't control my anger. It was everywhere in me, spinning my head like a tornado and sucking up everything around it until there was nothing but emptiness left. An emptiness that anger filled.

But least of all could I comprehend the phone-call from earlier.

"How is your little business going, Jason?"

It didn't take me a second to put the pieces together. It was him. He had done it. He was the one messing with me, and now who would've thought that?

My grip on the steering wheel tightened, my knuckles turning white, a layer of sweat forming at the palms of my hands.

I felt her stare on the side of my face from time to time when she'd occasionally look at me. She was a little pissy about the diner situation, but I had more important things to worry about than her mood.

"Tell me," she spoke up as if she knew she was crossing my mind. "What's gotten your panties in such a twist?" Her voice wasn't calm like usually. Irritation was definitely detectable.

My reply remained short and uninformative: "problems."

She huffed and a small chuckle escaped her lips as I noticed her shaking her head in the corner of my eye. She was growing courageous with me, ballsy even, and I couldn't quite decide if I liked it or not.

I sighed, slightly hating the fact that I was giving in. "Somebody has been fucking with my business." I voiced under a raspy breath.

My words caught Chelsea's attention as she turned her head in my direction. "Who? The person who called you earlier?" She was getting curious, and dangerously close to knowing too much.

Admittedly I was skeptic about opening up to her, letting her know of my business. I did not want her to be a part of all this. The less she knew the better, for her own safety, and that was one I couldn't deny caring about.

I nodded in response, keeping myself from saying too much. "Before you ask, I'm not gonna tell you who." I said and looked at her shortly with a glare, letting her know that I was serious.

"Wasn't planning on asking." She admitted and turned her face away from me again. "What is it that you do anyway?" She asked looked at me once again.

I sighed deeply, appreciating that we were almost back at the house, so I could get her upstairs and get to talk to Tyler and Andrew about this new-found information of mine. "We'll talk about that another time." I said dismissing her question.

"What if I wanna talk about it now?" Chelsea argued back with determination in her voice. Her stubbornness was not as appreciated as could be in this very moment. Couldn't she see that I was keeping this from her, to protect her? It's not exactly like I was doing legal stuff.

"In that case have fun talking to yourself." Chelsea huffed in a dissatisfactory manner and shook her head in her seat.

Much to my pleasure we were back at the house sooner rather than later, and before we went inside, I stalled Chelsea in a corner on the wooden porch with a hand on each side of her, locking her in. "Listen Chelsea, when we get inside, I want you to go upstairs okay?" I eyed her a pleading look, which was rare - Jason McCann pleading.

"Why though? It's not like you're planning a heist against The White House or anything?" She mocked in a rather bitchy tone that made my blood quiver in my veins. I shrugged it off.