After the barricades

Marius and I sat together, mourning our dead friends, I looked out of the window to see Enjolras' dead body lying on the cold cobblestone. 

Tears escaped my eyes, as Marius quietly sang.

"There's a grief that can't be spoken."

I looked at him, tears now streaming down my face.

"There's a pain goes on and on...." I sniffled 

"Empty chairs at Empty tables... Now our friends, are dead, and gone." We sang together, he quietly side-hugged me.

"I miss Eponiné, and Enjolras, and everyone." I cried into the crook of his neck, he slightly tensed up, quickly recovering.

"Here they sang of revolution."

"Here it was they lit the flame."

"Here they sang about tomorrow."

"But tomorrow never came."

Marius and I parted, tears started falling from his eyes too, and I couldn't help thinking how weird it would look if someone came and saw this.

"From the table in the corner, they could see a world reborn..." Marius said, clearly having a flashback of some sort.

"And they roared with voices ringing!" I said, remembering our friends.

"And we can hear them now! The very words that they have sung! Became their last communion." We both sang.

"The lonely Barricade... At dawn..." I said.

"Oh our friends our friends forgive us.." Marius stated.

"That we live and you are gone..." I continued.

"There's a grief that can't be spoken... There's a pain goes on and on..." We both sang

The next thing Marius said astonished me, I grew sad.

"Phantom faces of the windows!"

Creature of darkness! Cease this torment! I thought, scratch the 'creature of darkness' part.

"Phantom shadows of the floors..."

By now I was crying so hard that he may think me crazy.

"Empty Chairs at Empty Tables... Now my friends will sing no more..."

Even though the tears made it hard for me I joined him on the next line.

"Oh our friends, our friends! Don't ask us!! What your sacrifice was for!!!"

The last line I finished off by my self.

"Empty chairs at Empty tables... Where my friends... Will meet....... No more" The 'no more' part was barely hearable.

"My dear, I am so very sorry that you experienced that... But maybe this will help you understand, I only keep you in the lair to protect you." Father said, I knew he had been in the house where Marius and I had rested, but I didn't know that he had listened.

"Dad. Don't pretend you understand. You don't. You are a heartless monster, you couldn't know of love or friendship, you murder all who tries to become friends with you."

I said quoting Harry Potter when he was fighting Voldemort out of his mind in book five.

"I don't think you know me that well, Mon Ange," He said, using my nickname he had given me as a little girl.

"Christine Daaé." He said. "Christine Daaé."

I knew that he would take advantage of the situation, me being so weak and all, but I couldn't help it. 

I ran to him, hugging him fiercely, crying into his chest. 

Dad tried soothing me, whispering soft, kind words into my hair. Soft, kind words, that I didn't know he was capable of using. 

"Come with me Mon Ange, you will not know of suffering or death at home." He said, clearly using the advantage I had given him.

"You're wrong." I stated.

"What?" 

"You're wrong."

"What do you mean?"

"If I go with you.. I will know of suffering. And death, and no friendship" I said, tears still forming.

"My dear Emma."

"What?" Now it was my turn to be confused.

"You are so brave."

"Huh?"

"You really think that you have a choice."

I stayed quiet this time, he grabbed my arm, pulling me towards the door.

"EMMA!" Marius screeched.

"MARIUS!"

"Do not follow us monsieur! I swear that I will kill you if you try finding us." Dad said threateningly.

"Emma! I will come for you!!!"

"Marius... Don't bother... It will do nothing but get you killed." I said. Dad had finally put out my flame. My hope was finally gone, together with my friends.

I didn't even bother fighting dad, no wait... Erik, the Phantom, as he pulled me out of the door and out into the rain.

*****

I actually started sniffeling writing this chapter! Please leave your thoughts in the comments.

Will Marius find her?

Will she be able to forgive her father?

Will Christine ever come into her life? 

And what about Raoul and Gustave?

-H.G