Chapter Two

It's been a couple of days since I received my declined letter. My heart is still heavy. Staring at my breakfast, I push it slowly away. My parents notice and start to worry.  

" Yuri, aren't you going to eat your eggs and bacon? Lucille made it extra crispy just as I asked." Mom spoke from a computer screen.

I shake my head. " I'm fine, I just don't have that much of an appetite today is all...."

Eri stares at me from the corner of his eye as he finished off his bowl oatmeal.

" Now Yuri, don't start slacking off on your studies just because you didn't get in this year, there's always next year." My dad says on another screen.

I sigh softly before taking a little sip of orange juice. " Can I be excused?"

My parent's nod and everyone watches as I depressingly step away from the table and make my way up to the bathroom to finish getting ready for school.

" Akira, what should we do about Yuri? It's been only a couple of days and she still hasn't gotten out of her depressed mood."

Akira closes the newspaper and takes a sip from his coffee. " Oh, come now Jade. She's just dealing with her disappointment, by tomorrow she'll be good as new."

Eri started to laugh and smile inside. If only you really knew what I pulled off, I even got the presidents acceptance for Yuri and I just need to print it off and send the letter to our house.

( In the bathroom)

Sigh.

" I thought today I would finally get over it......but to accept failure is just crazy!"

I stare in the mirror before wiping the steam away and staring at my reflection. "Too many girls applying for the scholarship.....I guess when it comes to having the buck behind your application, it really pays off."

I quickly brush my teeth and then jump in the shower to wash out my special shampoo. When I finished showering, I left towards my bedroom where my school outfit was sprawled out on my bed. I changed and ran a brush through my hair. Sighing in the mirror before leaving the room.

I slip on my sportsman jacket and slid on my satchel bag before walking out the door with Eri. We walked a little in our neighborhood street before the bus pulled up. I walked towards the back of the bus where my friends Dean and Mary sat arguing over who would get to sit by me.

I couldn't hold back an eye-roll. Honestly, what am I? some toy that they fight over?

" Hey! Candace! choose who you want to sit by today!" she shouts.

I stare up at her. " Uh, well that is......" Quickly I turn and sit down next to some random kid who smiled at me, and I awkwardly do the same.

The ride to school would've been longing for my benefit but no! we had to arrive early and on time! Walking to class I hear Dean and Mary running at me. I turn around and stop so they could catch up.

" Candace! what's going on? are you sick?"

" Did someone die in your family?" said Dean.

I glanced at them and shook my head. " It's neither. I got my letter from Ouran Academy........I wasn't accepted."

Both of my friends stare at each other then at me before continuing on with our conversation.

Mary forces me to stop. " Hey, just remember it's not the end of the world! you still have a sophomore year to get in."

I fix my satchel strap and shrug. "I don't think that's going to happen.....besides I made that agreement with my parents at the start of when I entered high school." I turn on my heal and walk down the hall towards my classroom.

Dean looks at Mary confused. "What did Candace mean by, an agreement her parents and her made?"

Mary looks up and nods for him to follow her to the classroom. "You know how Candace mentioned that her mom was a professional designer? well turns out that her mom got a sweet deal from this famous company and they wanted her to sign with them and have the family move to London."

Dean stares at her surprised. "Really? well, what does that have to do with her getting excepted into Ouran Academy?"

Mary face-palms. " You really are dense. If she doesn't get accepted like her brother then she has to move with them to London, which means her visiting privileges to see us, would be cut."

Dean stops Mary. " It's that serious? But why would they do that to Candace? doesn't she get a choice?"

Mary shakes her head. " That's not how the Japanese work Dean."

Right as they walked in the bell for class to start went off. I sat there at my desk for a while just staring off into space, or rather deep in thought. Finally once class was over, I jumped up from my chair and started my way back home, Eri had some last minute stuff with the soccer team to do.

As the sun was in mid sky I glanced down the road a little way to see that the mailman left mail in the mailbox. I opened it and reached in, scanning through the mail nonchalantly. That's when I noticed the name Yuri printed on one of the envelopes. I scanned through the mail and there it was again. Yuri. I stared at it closer and realized it came from the address of Ouran Academy.....My heart jumped up into my throat.

Without hesitation I quickly dropped the other mail and ripped open the letter, slowly I read the page and I was already starting to laugh from excitement.

"This can't be possible!"

But as I kept on reading, that's when it started to get a little weird.

---- we now know of your circumstance and wish that you would join us in the male scholarship program.

"MALE SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM!?" those three words echoed in my mind, then started to go blank. Since when did they think I was a boy?

Suddenly a ring from Eri's bike could be heard a little ways away. I quickly shove the letter into my jacket and picked up the rest of the mail off of the ground.

Eri stops his bike and grins. " Yuri, get anything in the mail today?"

I stopped to think about how to answer. If I said yes he would question me further.....but if I said no...

"Nope, not a single scrap...." I fake yawn. "Well, I'm going to have a little nap." Quickly I walk inside the house and run straight upstairs towards my room where I lock it behind me.

"Why? this doesn't make any sense! how can it be possible that they think I'm a boy and I want to go into the boy's scholarship program?!"

I bang my head against my wall before slouching down in my desk chair. Then I sit up abruptly.

What if it's just a prank from Eri? I think about it more.

" Yes! that makes complete sense! of course, he would do something so mean towards me."

I glance at the letter again then sighed. " But how would he get the name of the president right and his signature?"